Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Not Happy

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 25 Replies

Sorry so long.

I know this is probably a normal feeling, but I want to see if any other moms have ever felt this way. 

I am constantly reading how moms are so elated when they have their babies and they enjoy the times when the babies wake them up in the middle of the night for feedings, diaper changes, etc. I am the exact opposite. I want my sleep and get annoyed when my LO wakes me up in the middle of night. I hate trying to move her into the bedroom to put her in her bassinet so I can sleep in the bed at night fo the fear she will wake up. For example last night, I was so afraid of her waking up; I slept in the living room while she stayed in her swing. I am so cranky and frustrated that I am constantly snapping at DH, and every now and then I start crying out of pure frustration (mainly because DD2 won't stop crying). DH told me I have to "pull it together" which makes me feel like a horrible mom cause I snap at him, get frustrated, and cry cause I'm not in this elated happy mood that I guess he expects me to be in. 

It doesn't help that we also have an almost 3 year old that is having her own issues adjusting to having a little sister and either won't go to bed easily or wakes up at night. 

Anyone else ever feel this way? And what did you do about it? 

Kathy

Mom of 2; Chloe Rose and Amber Lynn

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazy4u49033
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM
It sounds like you might have a touch of ppd. I had it for a while after ds1 and felt like you do. It is def a tough time, but it will get easier. Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor.
Kathy198199
by Kathy on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I do have a RX for Prozac; but I don't feel like I have PPD so bad I need it. I wonder when I would need to take it, if at all

Ssandlie
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I was feeling very much like you for the first 3-4 weeks, I talked with my doctor about it when I brought LO in for his 4 wk check up and she prescribed me a very mild anti-anxiety/depression medication. She had me take it once a day for 3 weeks, after the first 3 days my DH said it was like night and day, my smiles returned, etc. Maybe talk to your doctor about a more mild medication that isn't as addictive. I was only on my meds for about 10 weeks, then she weaned me off and I haven't needed them since!

Kathy198199
by Kathy on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Is Prozac a strong drug? My dr said it was mild.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM

how old is your baby? And is this your first?

cdrainey3
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM
I was a lot like this with my babies. I thought maybe I had ppd as well, but taking anti depressants just made me worse. I just needed my sleep! My dh was awful at helping with night feedings and it just made me so hateful towards him. My last baby was really hard on me. I had a 3 year old and a new baby. My 3 year old wouldn't take a nap anymore, so I was up all night and all day. It was awful. I called my sisters and mom so many times, just in tears. I got so mad at my dh that I told him to just leave. I was dead serious too, he could of left and I wouldn't of cared. I'm very glad he didn't, but it just was so hard on us. A new baby is supposed to be fun and special, but it almost tore us apart, twice. We are done and my youngest is 2 1/2. Dh is an amazing father now that they are older and we are all getting full nights of sleep :)

Just hang in there! Get your kids on a schedule as soon as you can. How old is your baby? My boys both had acid reflux so that's why they were horrible sleepers. I got them on medicine that helped a ton! There's also a book I read that I loved!! It's called, "the sleep lady" you can get it on amazon. You don't have to read the whole book, just the age groups, and it talks about getting siblings on the same schedule. It's a must! Good luck, hang in there I promise it gets better!

Oh and my mom always says, "take your calcium and vitamin D" it really does help too! The liquid kind is best.
Kathy198199
by Kathy on Apr. 17, 2014 at 7:48 AM
My LO just turned 3 weeks today & she is my 2nd. I felt like this with my first too, but didn't do anything for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TAG9lbs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 7:51 AM
OP it helps if you"quote to let people know you responded to their questions

Quoting crazy4u49033: It sounds like you might have a touch of ppd. I had it for a while after ds1 and felt like you do. It is def a tough time, but it will get easier. Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor.
Chirinos
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM
I felt the same way until my husband he is now my ex husband would switch off on getting up with our kids. He didn't help a whole lot with the first but the second child he would get up every night with him and let me sleep. I loved it.
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Sorry I'm going against the grain here but you sound like you need sleep not a drug.

I'm the same way. I can go without food or without whatever but I need my sleep or I turn super moody. (unfortunately DS didn't sleep threw the night until 3 and DD was like 16 months LOL)

Don't try to be super mom. Especially during those first few months, your body is still recovering. Don't feel bad. If baby is sleeping turns some toons on for your other one and catch some sleep on the couch. Or instate quite time with your older one, she doesn't have to nap but she has to stay in bed or her room and do a quite activity and don't use that time to do chores, make it your "quite time" too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN