Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Opposites attract?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM
  • 17 Replies
Do you think opposites attract, or do like minded people get along better?

I'm open minded enough that I can easily surround myself with people who think differently than I do, as long as they're open minded enough not to try to impress their views on me. As for personality though, I believe that opposites attract. I don't think that 2 alpha, dominating, personality types can successfully be together. Or two introverted passive types. That does NOT mean that I think one partner controls or takes charge of the other in anyway.

Agree, disagree? Opinions?
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
withsecond
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I can see your point with the examples you gave but I personally feel I'd rather be with someone that I have more in common with than my opposite. 

Hwizim
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:44 PM
I get along with people opposite of me. Im shy and a loner. My husband is very outgoing and knows alot of people. I tend to go toward outgoing people. Im horrible coming up with conversation so the outgoing people make it easy for me.
LocoLoba
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 4:05 PM

dh and I are the opposite. He's not shy per se, but he's very passive, he's not very socially driven. Where as I'm extremely outgoing, love meeting people and having friends and being in new social situations. I'd have to say 99% of all the things we've ever done with other people or to make new friends has been at my hand. Some of it was with his soldiers and their families when he was still in the Army, but he never would coordinate get togethers or dinner parties or anything. Now that we live in a new city and don't have friends and family here or the Army as an outlet to meet new people, it's driving me INSANE not having a social network. But dh couldn't care less either way. He doesn't avoid people. And if I get us involved in things with other people and try making new friends, he is a willing participant. It's just never been very important to him to have a social network.

Quoting Hwizim: I get along with people opposite of me. Im shy and a loner. My husband is very outgoing and knows alot of people. I tend to go toward outgoing people. Im horrible coming up with conversation so the outgoing people make it easy for me.

Hwizim
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Im the same as your husband. I could care less about get togethers though dont mind it if Im forced to be in a social event. Though I often feel awkward because Im so horrible with starting a conversation. I just feel I will bore someone with what I have to say. If Im invited to parties and my husband cant go due to work I stay home. Thats how shy I am. I have to warm to people. I love the social butterflys that force me to interact. I even got involved in my daughters school to force myself to socialize. Im making baby steps lol

Quoting LocoLoba:

dh and I are the opposite. He's not shy per se, but he's very passive, he's not very socially driven. Where as I'm extremely outgoing, love meeting people and having friends and being in new social situations. I'd have to say 99% of all the things we've ever done with other people or to make new friends has been at my hand. Some of it was with his soldiers and their families when he was still in the Army, but he never would coordinate get togethers or dinner parties or anything. Now that we live in a new city and don't have friends and family here or the Army as an outlet to meet new people, it's driving me INSANE not having a social network. But dh couldn't care less either way. He doesn't avoid people. And if I get us involved in things with other people and try making new friends, he is a willing participant. It's just never been very important to him to have a social network.

Quoting Hwizim: I get along with people opposite of me. Im shy and a loner. My husband is very outgoing and knows alot of people. I tend to go toward outgoing people. Im horrible coming up with conversation so the outgoing people make it easy for me.

goddess829
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM

My hubby and I are attracting opposites.  My strengths are his weakness and vice versa.  We keep each other where we need to be.  We are happy.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I think if both parties are willing to give a relationship a chance then anything is possible. 

I'm opinionated though, and although I'm quick to see everyone's point of view there are some things I can't deal with. 

cdrainey3
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:30 AM
I think it definitely depends. I think people who are exactly a like aren't going to get along, but I also don't think complete opposites get a long either. Maybe just a little different. Lol. My dh and his ex (dh would kill me if he knew I thought this) they are so much a like! And they DO NOT get along. Dh and I aren't that opposite, but just different enough that we out way each others good and bad sides. We are perfect for each other :)
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Quoting goddess829:

My hubby and I are attracting opposites.  My strengths are his weakness and vice versa.  We keep each other where we need to be.  We are happy.

This is me and my DH too.
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:35 AM
That's how it is with me and my dh.

Quoting goddess829:

mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM
My husband and I have a lot in common , interest wise. Sports, outdoors and hiking and such. But he's a very quiet and withdrawn. Has a hard time talking with people. I am the opposite. I talk to everyone. I'm far more social.

When I was in college, they thought it would be great to put me on the bus with another talker for our hockey trips. I about killed her. She never shut up. It drove me nuts. I'm pretty good at knowing when to shut up but she didn't take a hint. I requested to never have to sit with her or room with her again. So we had the same personality and couldn't stand each other.

I think opposites do typically get along better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)