Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do your kids share a room?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM
  • 63 Replies

I have a 5 year old son and I am expecting a baby any day now! We live in an affordable two bedroom house and the boys will have to share a room. They will really be 6 years apart as my son's birthday is May 13. 

Do your kids share a room? How is that for them?

Our plan is to leave the baby in our room until he will sleep through the night. My oldest son is in school, so during the day, I will have the baby nap in his crib so he will also be comfortable in that room as well. In our room, we have a bassinet that he will sleep in. Once the baby sleeps through the night, we will put him in the room with his older brother. My older son is very easy to put to bed. We literally say goodnight, and he goes to sleep. I'm more concerned with the younger one bothering his brother. We're thinking of a staggered sleep time, where the baby goes earlier and the older one goes a little later after the baby is already asleep. We'll have to see how the morning routine works once we get further into it.

Any advice? We're considering buying a larger house in about a year if all goes well.

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Currently my almost 12 and just turned 9 y/o sons share a room. We are currently in the process of moving into our dd's room (she's 20 and recently moved out) so that our boys can have their own rooms.

The only "problem" they have had while sharing a room was when one or the other had a friend over. That would usually cause issues b/c the other brother would "bother" the brother with the friend over.

shalynoel
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Yes! It won't be long before my older one will have friends over to spend the night. We'll have to probably give them the living room and camp out in our room! haha

Quoting mumsy2three:

Currently my almost 12 and just turned 9 y/o sons share a room. We are currently in the process of moving into our dd's room (she's 20 and recently moved out) so that our boys can have their own rooms.

The only "problem" they have had while sharing a room was when one or the other had a friend over. That would usually cause issues b/c the other brother would "bother" the brother with the friend over.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:14 PM

We usually let the son with the friend over and the friend sleep in their room (they have a trundle bed) and the other son sleeps on the sofa bed in the living room. It will be nice when we don't have to do that. I am interested to see how quickly they adjust to sleeping alone in their own rooms, since they've always roomed together, lol.

Quoting shalynoel:

Yes! It won't be long before my older one will have friends over to spend the night. We'll have to probably give them the living room and camp out in our room! haha

Quoting mumsy2three:

shalynoel
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww! I am excited about buying a bigger house but patience is a virtue. My husband wanted to wait to see how our finances are with 2 kids before we go that route. A year goes by so fast. It's hard to believe my big boy will be 6 in a few weeks! 

Quoting mumsy2three:

We usually let the son with the friend over and the friend sleep in their room (they have a trundle bed) and the other son sleeps on the sofa bed in the living room. It will be nice when we don't have to do that. I am interested to see how quickly they adjust to sleeping alone in their own rooms, since they've always roomed together, lol.

Quoting shalynoel:

Quoting mumsy2three:

mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM
We only have a two bedroom duplex so my two share right now. Oldest is 14 and youngest is 4. The oldest is horrible at messing up the room and the youngest gets annoyed. We have youngest in bed at 8 and the oldest goes after he's asleep. It's working for now but we have a third due at any moment and that one will sleep in our room for now and hopefully we have a bigger place before it needs a room.
shalynoel
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Congrats on your upcoming baby! I guess we do the best we can with what we have! :) Do you have boys/girls or both?

Quoting mjimaging: We only have a two bedroom duplex so my two share right now. Oldest is 14 and youngest is 4. The oldest is horrible at messing up the room and the youngest gets annoyed. We have youngest in bed at 8 and the oldest goes after he's asleep. It's working for now but we have a third due at any moment and that one will sleep in our room for now and hopefully we have a bigger place before it needs a room.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Both, a boy and a girl. This one we don't know yet.

Quoting shalynoel:

Congrats on your upcoming baby! I guess we do the best we can with what we have! :) Do you have boys/girls or both?

Quoting mjimaging: We only have a two bedroom duplex so my two share right now. Oldest is 14 and youngest is 4. The oldest is horrible at messing up the room and the youngest gets annoyed. We have youngest in bed at 8 and the oldest goes after he's asleep. It's working for now but we have a third due at any moment and that one will sleep in our room for now and hopefully we have a bigger place before it needs a room.

mrsary
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

my sons who are 4 and 6 do although we do have an empty bedroom!!

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My older sons have their own room. My younger sons 9 and almost 6 share a bedroom.
katiebug840204
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM
My 5 and 11 yr old boys share a room. I hate it. There is too much of an age difference. They fight all the time because they each want their own time to play alone and can't get it. Especially since my 11 yr old is more into listening to music now..He wants to be alone without his little brother in there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)