Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Security at school

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM
  • 24 Replies
So many recent shootings,stabbings an crime,should the government allow money to each city to provide more school security? I say yes,I think our kids should be safest at school,it's one of the times we as parents can't protect them,but we should feel safe leaving them to get an education,we shouldn't have to worry about a phone call or news broadcast to alarm us of yet another incident at school,I think we should be able to drop them off knowing security is in place to protect them
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know how it is everywhere else but we do have security in my area. My son's elementary school is a locked campus. None of the doors besides the front entrance and the cafeteria entrance have outside handles. You have to come into a partitioned off area and then be buzzed into the office before you can even enter the school. There are security cameras and they have drills constantly. All of the classroom doors are locked during class. Its a bright, cheerful, new school and the kids feel safe there. We recently had an incident where an armed robber who was fleeing the police was spotted on school grounds. The principal called the code, the school went into lock down, and it ran perfectly. We also have two security guards who are there during pick up and drop off times.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

The schools my kids attended in the states all had pretty good security.  All door were locked at all times - security cards were needed to gain access to the building.  Parents could only enter through the main door - and only by being buzzed in by someone in the office.  The public high school my middle daughter attended had a police officer in-site, the private high school my oldest daughter attended had a security guard on-site, the private elementary school my kids all attended did not have security on-site.

The schools my kids attend here in Israel are all full-gated campuses.  They all have an armed security guard at the front gate - which is the only gate a parent/visitor to the school may enter through.  There are also armed staff members scattered throughout the campuses.  

Ricksmama
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Quoting TableforSeven:

The schools my kids attended in the states all had pretty good security.  All door were locked at all times - security cards were needed to gain access to the building.  Parents could only enter through the main door - and only by being buzzed in by someone in the office.  The public high school my middle daughter attended had a police officer in-site, the private high school my oldest daughter attended had a security guard on-site, the private elementary school my kids all attended did not have security on-site.

The schools my kids attend here in Israel are all full-gated campuses.  They all have an armed security guard at the front gate - which is the only gate a parent/visitor to the school may enter through.  There are also armed staff members scattered throughout the campuses.  

Well in Mississippi they need to step it up we have on duty cops but they hang out in the office not much help if someone entered thru other doors
TableforSeven
by Judy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

The on-duty police officer and the security guard at the hi schools my girls attended were always on the move.  And they didn't follow the same routine every day either, so no one can know where they were at any specific time.

Quoting Ricksmama:
Quoting TableforSeven:

Well in Mississippi they need to step it up we have on duty cops but they hang out in the office not much help if someone entered thru other doors

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I agree with you
Ricksmama
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Quoting TableforSeven:

The on-duty police officer and the security guard at the hi schools my girls attended were always on the move.  And they didn't follow the same routine every day either, so no one can know where they were at any specific time.

Quoting Ricksmama:
Quoting TableforSeven:

That's a great system maybe during our next PTA we can address our schools safety. Thanks
Ricksmama
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Quoting HIJKLM: I agree with you
Yea safety first
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

This is how it is at my DD's school as well....

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I don't know how it is everywhere else but we do have security in my area. My son's elementary school is a locked campus. None of the doors besides the front entrance and the cafeteria entrance have outside handles. You have to come into a partitioned off area and then be buzzed into the office before you can even enter the school. There are security cameras and they have drills constantly..

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

This is how it is in all of the school buildings in our district.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I don't know how it is everywhere else but we do have security in my area. My son's elementary school is a locked campus. None of the doors besides the front entrance and the cafeteria entrance have outside handles. You have to come into a partitioned off area and then be buzzed into the office before you can even enter the school. There are security cameras and they have drills constantly. All of the classroom doors are locked during class.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd's middle school is a locked down campus.  There is only one way in with a key card, visitors have to be buzzed in.  All of the other doors have no handles for the outside, they open from the inside only.  They are patrolled by police.  They do drills all of the time, so they are ready if anything was to happen.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)