Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms
So many recent shootings,stabbings an crime,should the government allow money to each city to provide more school security? I say yes,I think our kids should be safest at school,it's one of the times we as parents can't protect them,but we should feel safe leaving them to get an education,we shouldn't have to worry about a phone call or news broadcast to alarm us of yet another incident at school,I think we should be able to drop them off knowing security is in place to protect them
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Replies (21-24):
Ricksmama
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Quoting diaperstodating: I thought the schools in my area were safe before, but after Sandy Hook safety changes were made to all the schools in the district and they are safer than they have ever been.
At my daughters high school kids leave daily an nobody has a clue at any time you can drive up grab a kid an nobody is around. It's scary.
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I do agree that more schools need security.

Here all the schools are locked unless it is an after school event. You need an employee pass to get in or need to be buzzed in by the front office.

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:16 AM

It can be pretty scary. Before we got our doors, I remember we had a couple of lock downs. We had to physically lock our front doors.

Quoting Ricksmama:
Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

I work at an elementary school. Two years ago we got new doors that have to be unlocked from the inside. They are working their way to doing all the schools in our district. Our doors unlock from 8am-9am and 3:30-4pm. Otherwise they have to press a button to get in. All visitors are required to show a state issued i.d. before any office staff unlock the doors and/or release any kids. All of our outer doors are locked except for one in the front. Visitors/Parents then enter a vestibule and have to ring a bell to be allowed entrance. There is a camera in there as well.

At first a lot of the parents hated it. They got mad and had attitudes the first couple of months. Then Sandy Hook happened.

Every year at in September we have a safety week where we practice lockouts, lockdowns, severe weather, evacuation and fire. We have had a couple of lockdown because of things happening in the  neighborhood. I know the two high schools do have off duty police officers that work security as well.. 

We are in the process of more strict school security but till then every day is a scary day

crazy4chapstick
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM

YES!! having a security issue here in our town now. schools on "lock down" this week after threats were made.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)