Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

son and fianc─Ť issues

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM
  • 5 Replies
Ok so I have a 7 year old son whom I admit can be a handful at times... it just seems that my fianc─Ť and him butt heads constantly. And just tonight my son told me . " I wish he would just leave already". Which broke my heart. Yes my DF and I argue sometimes. And we both work. Yet I try to give my son enough attention. But it just seems to aggravate my DF. How can I get the 2 of them to love and like each other ? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I guess I should tell you that I was in an abusive marriage prior to this engagement and my son , daughters and I were abused by my ex. I moved my kids and I out of there 3 years ago almost. Ever since it doesnt matter what man, I have only had 3 males in my life since mind you there is only one whom i ever had spend the night the other 2 are really good friends to me and of those 3,that I introduced to the kids my son hasn't liked any of them. I love my DF and my son and don't want to have to choose to leave my df for my sons sake

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You can't make them love or like each other. DF needs to realize that he can't just be accepted as a father figure instantly and your son needs to realize that nobody gets along all the time.

Would one-on-one time work for them?

homeworkin215
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM
It is quite possible that ur son will never like anybody you bring home. I am a child of divorce, my biological father was an abusive addict, and I still wanted him over any GOOD MAN( my stepdad) that my mom brought home. As I grew up, entered abusive relationships my self and finally realized that my mom had to do what made her happy. Of course your children are the most important thing to you, but, at the end of the day, they grow up and leave and how do you end up? Do what makes you happy. I'm now in a wonderful marriage w a husband that is a true father to my 2 boys from my previous terrible relationship. It all worked out, I wish you the best!
christina122952
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Give it time, they may never like each other. He may think you are replacing his dad with your DF.
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I never liked my step dad at all. He came into my life when I was 2 and I'm 32 and we still don't really talk or have a relationship. 

But my mom and bio dad were never married so it's not like I saw them together and just didn't want my step dad stepping in. I just didn't like him. At all. Don't try and push your son to accept him. That may just make things worse. 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Time may help but you can not force a relationship
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)