Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Working Moms! What's better??

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM
  • 26 Replies
Working moms that use daycare, what's better in your opinion? An In-home daycare or a center?
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Each has its pros and cons. DS went to an in-home daycare and he loved it. The smaller, close-knit setting, him seeing the same group of kids on a daily basis, the one-on-one attention. One of the biggest benefits for me and DH was the flexibility with the hours. Commercial daycare centers obviously have to close at the same time each day and with DH's and my work hours, it worked out perfectly. I say it's whatever ends up being better for your child. Each one is different and some kids do better in smaller settings than in larger group settings and vice versa. I strongly suggest you interview both types of centers if at all possible so you can do some comparing and if you're able to bring your child with you when you visit the locations, see how well they do in each setting while you're there, even if it's for a short amount of time. Good luck!

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree

Quoting KylesMom409:

Each has its pros and cons. DS went to an in-home daycare and he loved it. The smaller, close-knit setting, him seeing the same group of kids on a daily basis, the one-on-one attention. One of the biggest benefits for me and DH was the flexibility with the hours. Commercial daycare centers obviously have to close at the same time each day and with DH's and my work hours, it worked out perfectly. I say it's whatever ends up being better for your child. Each one is different and some kids do better in smaller settings than in larger group settings and vice versa. I strongly suggest you interview both types of centers if at all possible so you can do some comparing and if you're able to bring your child with you when you visit the locations, see how well they do in each setting while you're there, even if it's for a short amount of time. Good luck!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

a pre-school that is city run and knowing that they have video security, that the employees had to go through drug testing, criminal backgrounds, have teacher certifications, CPR trained, etc.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 1, 2014 at 6:24 AM
2 moms liked this

I used a center with all 3 of mine. It was a personal preference really. I just felt better with a center.

DessC
by on May. 1, 2014 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

They each have pros and cons, it is really a matter of what you are more comfortable with.

Sophie1106
by Paula on May. 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

When my dd was little she went to a home day care because the lady that ran it was an old family friend of ours. So I felt comfortable sending her there. When she got to pre-k age though I moved her to a preschool/day care so she could do pre-k before starting kinder. The home day care has now closed because the lady retired. So my ds goes twice a week to the preschool/day care dd went to. I think I feel more comfortable with a center than with a home day care ran by someone I don't know. 

shalynoel
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I did both with my first child. He went to an in-home daycare for the first 2 years and for the last 3 he was at a regular center. I liked the one on one attention in the in home care. I liked the fact that the same person that I left my son with was the same person that I saw when I picked him up, so I knew exactly what happened with him each day. I also found it less expensive overall. I did not like the fact that the person that watched my son would get sick at times and couldn't watch him. For a working mom, this is a real inconvenience. She didn't have a back up plan so I would end up missing work. That caused me to move to the commercial center. The things I liked about it was that someone is always there no matter what. I liked the activities they provided better, and I met so many moms and my son made so many friends. Again, he started at age 2, so he was more "social" at this point. They also had cameras so I could see my son throughout the day. I didn't like the turn over, and the fact that different people were in and out of the room. He got sick more often as there were more chidlren, and it cost more. 

I just had a baby 10 days ago, and he's on the waiting list at the commercial center because they also do after school care. Both boys can be picked up at the same place which is helpful. It's going to cost a small fortune, but it will work for us! 

OHgirlinCA
by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends.  When my youngest was a baby and toddler, I took him to an in home daycare.  She only had 4 children and she was wonderful.  When he was 4, I switched him to a daycare center that also provided a preschool.  Now that he's in first grade, he is still at that daycare center and he loves it.  I like it because they also provide transportation to and from school which really helps me out. 

Sarah993
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they both have pros and cons.  I have done both with my kids.  I have to say that I prefer the center b/c there is usually more educational learning, higher standards and expectations for the people working there (in my experience) and no missing work b/c your child care provider is sick or having to get off early so they can take their kids to activities.  The daycare center my kids go to also provide transportation to and from school which not all home daycares do.

trish2tew
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. We have only used in-home daycares for our kids after I went back to work. Like previously stated, there are pros and cons for each. We found a BIG con 2x in the last couple of months with in-home daycares. We had 2 different ones call off last minute(1 hour and 9 hours before drop off). Our fault for not having a back up. We are moving soon to live closer to DH's family, so his mom can watch the kids when they are not in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN