Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

If you didn't have children

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM
  • 43 Replies

how would your career be different? SAHM's, would you still be a housewife or would you have worked? Those that work did you base your job or career around having children or did the children come first? Is there a career path you wanted to follow but couldn't due to becoming a parent?

Before I had kids I worked at Wal Mart then I delivered Meals on Wheels. After having kids I worked odd jobs but for the most part I was a SAHM. Oddly enough, most of my SAHM career happened once both kids were in school. It wasn't planned that way, it just fell like that. 

wedding countdown
by on May. 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have kids.  That's all I've ever wanted.

I love being a SAHM and teaching my children.  If we didn't have children I probably would have joined the Air Force. 

Sophie1106
by Paula on May. 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I think I would definitely be further in my career if I didn't have children. I stayed home with dd for the first 10 months and then went back to my old job at a fast food restaurant..In N Out. After a couple years I started looking for something else and got a job as a part time bank teller. I was there for 4 1/2 years and was promoted three times. And then I was offered the position of assistant manager but I declined because I didn't want to work full time and be away from the kids more. Soon after that everyone in the position I was in got laid off. So I stayed home for about 8 months. A few months ago I got a job again as a teller at another bank. I just wanted something close to home and part time. I work 25 hours a week. It's enough for some income but I'm not away from the kids a lot. So yeah, if I didn't have kids I'd probably be working full time in a higher position. But I don't mind. I like working a few hours a day and being able to be with the kids a lot too. 

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:46 PM

If I didn't have kids I'd be living the high life I can tell you that much.  I was VERY carreer oriented and a hard worker.  After I had DD my priorities changed.  After I got divorced and became a single mom, I had no choice but to work but my carreer went on the back burner as far as priorities were concerned. 

I had to refuse to travel for work, I stopped taking business trips, stopped working long hours,  doing trade shows, business dinners etc.   I have been with the same company / job for 8 years.  I totally lack the motivation now.  If I go on a business trip I usually take DD with me, or work it into a family vacation.  I work to pay the bills and that's it.  I really don't care to be the top grossing sales rep  or the company's golden goose anymore.  My goal now is for my bosses to retire and leave me the full management position.

If I didn't have kids I'd probably still do what I'm doing but I'd be really well off since I'd probably still be super carreer oriented and didn't spend loads of money on my child.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Sounds like me,lol  I'd definitely be doing a lot better, making a lot more money, I had to say no to a few really great opportunities because I had to worry about my dd, she has to come first...  To be honest I'd be living in a different state.  The only reason I ever moved back to my home state was because of my dd.  I wanted her to grow up around family.

Quoting Jinxed8:

If I didn't have kids I'd be living the high life I can tell you that much.  I was VERY carreer oriented and a hard worker.  After I had DD my priorities changed.  After I got divorced and became a single mom, I had no choice but to work but my carreer went on the back burner as far as priorities were concerned. 

I had to refuse to travel for work, I stopped taking business trips, stopped working long hours,  doing trade shows, business dinners etc.   I have been with the same company / job for 8 years.  I totally lack the motivation now.  If I go on a business trip I usually take DD with me, or work it into a family vacation.  I work to pay the bills and that's it.  I really don't care to be the top grossing sales rep  or the company's golden goose anymore.  My goal now is for my bosses to retire and leave me the full management position.

If I didn't have kids I'd probably still do what I'm doing but I'd be really well off since I'd probably still be super carreer oriented and didn't spend loads of money on my child.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

christina122952
by on May. 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM
I would still be a housewife. I love being able to make my man happy and I love seeing my daughter grow.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I'd probably be living in a different state too - I would have probably moved in with DH to be far far away from XH.  Because when I started dating DH  my boss offered to let me open an office there but because off DD and custody and such I couldn't ....

Quoting Briesmom38:

Sounds like me,lol  I'd definitely be doing a lot better, making a lot more money, I had to say no to a few really great opportunities because I had to worry about my dd, she has to come first...  To be honest I'd be living in a different state.  The only reason I ever moved back to my home state was because of my dd.  I wanted her to grow up around family.

Quoting Jinxed8:

cali_angel_girl
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I would be working more then likely just not sure what I would be doing lol.

-LegoMom-
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM
I would have reached my ultimate goal of becoming a teacher faster and my husband would have continued to interview to become a police officer after he graduated the academy.
mommyof3kid82
by on May. 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I would have travel and tried working in paris :)

Babujai
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM
I would probably be in a different line of work. I work at a bank now, which is okay, but one of the reasons I took the job was the health insurance. I was already pregnant and really needed coverage. I didn't have any special affinity for the company or the field at the time. I don't know what line of work I'd be in, but I wouldn't have been so quick to jump at a job I wasn't crazy about.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)