Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

HOW DO YOU DO A FOOD INTERVENTION?..

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM
  • 1 Replies
I haven't seen my friend Renee for years. She has a beautiful baby girl now (11 months). I saw her recently and she had gained 100lbs. We talked, and she told me that two years ago when she went off of birth control to get pregnant, her thyroid went haywire, and it turned out to be the onset of a thyroid disease. It took a while to diagnose. But she figured it out and is on synthyroid.

My mom has the same disease, so I know it can cause weight gain. But my mom is and always has been thin. My mom is a food enthusiast and nutritionist wrapped in one person. She is a five star chef basically, with a keen ability to make a healthy yet truly delicious meals. My cooking will always pale in relation.

I recently hung out with my Renee, and I was shocked by how she eats. Cookies, pizza, Doritos...I remember college and she had always eaten junk, but she was skinny in her twenties. She drinks pretty heavily now too.

Given my upbringing, watching my mom and how she eats, I am afraid my friend is actually anxiety-eating. It's not normal. Or rather it is normal. With all of the changes and stresses in her life. Marriage, baby, turning 30. Lots of people do it. She is convinced she has a serious illness, but I think if she just took care of herself, she could be healthy.

It's so self destructive. She's eating stuff with like zero nutrition and she is slowly killing herself. How do I intervene without calling her fat, or insulting her? The extent to which food is encouraged as a drug makes it hard for me to pick a way to say it without sounding evil or callous.

please, its killing you? I think you have a problem? I love you, please stop? What do I say?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't, not if you just got back in touch with her - after a few years of not being in contact. If she brings up wanting to learn new ways of eating healthy you could provide some tips, but don't overstep in an area where she may be sensitive in right now. Poor eating habits that have developed over time (addiction) are hard to break.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN