Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

My kids

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM
  • 19 Replies
So I am getting really annoyed with people telling me I "have my hands full" with my 2 kids. They are great one on one but together (they are 1 and 4) they are...... Let's say energetic. I know it. No need to point it out. They get extra hyper, don't listen, no attention span and are mean to each other. How can I get them to calm down in public?? It's really embarrassing!!
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Be firm and consistent.  It will take time, but they will learn how to behave in public.  Do not give in.  If they are being really bad, leave -- go to the car or go home (even if shopping).  Do not bribe or reward them for behaving in public. This should be something expected, not a way to earn a treat.  It will take time....but it will all pay off in the end.

kahlansmommy
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Omg my kids are the same way! You want to slap the shit out of them sometimes
Kimberly954
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM
When you leave though I feel like get win. That's ultimately what they wanted.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Be firm and consistent.  It will take time, but they will learn how to behave in public.  Do not give in.  If they are being really bad, leave -- go to the car or go home (even if shopping).  Do not bribe or reward them for behaving in public. This should be something expected, not a way to earn a treat.  It will take time....but it will all pay off in the end.

Roksolana84
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM

First of all, forget what negative things other people say.  I don't even turn my head if people try to strike an unwanted conversation, lol. My mom taught me not to talk to strangers.

I usually tell my kids (5 and 2,5), that they will be punished, when we get home. 1 year old doesn't understand things yet, when my youngest was that age I tried to keep her entertained and make sure she is not sleepy or hungry when we went out.

christina122952
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM
My daughter is only 9 months old and so far I am lucky
Carolynishappy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I'm so happy that I have a pretty big age gap between my two kids. Ds tunrs 10 on sunday and baby girl is only 2 months.

mamacalifornia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Consistency, carry a treat in your car for after and those who behave get one those who didn't don't! Put one year old in cart and make the 4yr old hold onto the cart! Make sure before you go into the store you say the rules and I would also do it at home before you leave so they know your expectations. My rules have always been don't touch anything, no buying toys or candy, indoor voice, no running/skipping, etc...my kids are now 11 & 9 and I implemented these rules as soon as they were 2.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Most of the time they don't actually want to leave. This method does work. I've also seen it done where when they act up you get down to their level and talk softly until they calm down and listen. My ex did this with my oldest and she behaved beautifully after a bit.

Quoting Kimberly954: When you leave though I feel like get win. That's ultimately what they wanted.

Quoting TableforSeven:

TableforSeven
by Judy on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Then stay in the store and get done what you need to do.  Drag them along kicking and screaming, if need be.  Some people will give you looks, sure.....but that's their problem, not yours.  

Quoting Kimberly954: When you leave though I feel like get win. That's ultimately what they wanted.
Quoting TableforSeven:

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:05 AM
It takes time. My kids are energetic as well. It took me leaving places in the middle of shopping or cutting things out when they wouldn't listen to get their attention.

Another trick I use is, before we unload, is I'll ask them what the rules are. I make them say...stay with mama, no yelling, no fighting, etc. And what happens if they don't listen.:)

I also go out when it's not near nap time and when they are less likely to have meltdowns.

Good luck:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN