Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What do you guys (girls, I know) do for work?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM
  • 90 Replies

Just curious. I know we have to have all different walks of life and I'm wondering about everyone!

What do you love about it and what do you wish you could change?

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I am a part time receptionist for a CPA. I love the location (5 minutes from home), I love my boss (a super nice guy who believes in family first at all costs), I love the work I do (filing, answering phones, working in Quickbooks and Excel and other stuff) and I love that when it's not tax season we hardly get any clients in so we have lots of down time. I get along really well with my co worker all the time although I do have an issue with the fact that she is hardly ever at work. This makes me have to do my work then hurry and help her with hers. She's got a lot of health issues though, it's not like she's missing just for the heck of it. It's annoying but I don't let it affect my working relationship with her. 

What I don't like is not really anything about the job itself, it's more or less getting used to working after being home for 5 years. My kids were 8 and 2 the last time I worked...not so busy. Now they are 7 and 11 and in tons of sports and activies all year long. Although my job is part time (I work 8-2 with no lunch during school so that I can still bring them and pick them up from school and 8-5 with a day off during the week through summer) there are still things I must tend to, such as appointments, doctor visits, vet visits, groomer visits, etc. These are things I took for granted that I could do as needed before working. Now I really have to schedule every little thing around work and our activities. It's hard but getting better. It didn't help that I started right as softball started so I was working 8-2, getting the kids from school then going back to the ballpark from 5-9:30 every week night. We just finished last night so I should be able to move into a better routine soon.  

I also have a seasonal job keeping score at our softball field during softball season. I am an Area Representative for an exchange student organization (but I make no money because I don't place any students) and I am a very inactive ambassador for Plexus Slim. I haven't sold or bought any since November. I will not be renewing my ambassadorship when it rolls around in August. 

Carolynishappy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I am a receptionist and QA analyst for a company that makes systems for insurance companies. The system allows them to quote and bind the insurance policy, endorse the policy and print necessary documents too. It's a fully automated system and is custom built for the client. I do the QA all day but in the afternoons I am at the front desk to do the receptionist part of it.

I love that the company is family oriented and treats everyone really well. They are very accomodating when things come up like family emergencies and other things. We have had people move and they have allowed them to continue to work but letting them work from home.

The only thing I don't like is that the vice ceo won't let me quit doing the front desk and let me do the QA only. Another girl does the receptionist job in the mornings but she is not always reliable and I am. I very frequently have to cover her shift too because she calls in or decides to go home early. But I think I might be able to go full time QA b/c when we got aquired last year the company that bought us has made some big changes. The girl is actually the sister to the CEO of our company, and the company that now owns us is letting her go b/c they feel there is favortism. They also do not want a receptionist. They believe it's cheaper to have a machine answer and let the customer's go threw an annoying list of options first. But if that's the case I might have teh chance to go to the QA dept full time. :)

olliesmommy2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Well now I'm a sahm. But I worked in park maintenance, I loved it. I may go back at some point.
ambergem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM
SAHM now. Most recently Medical Staff Coordinator. I quit out of protest after 3 mths and working in the ER for 3 years at the same hospital. Loved the ER. Fast paced, appreciated by the medical staff, self-motivated and had a lot of reign. Bad was I was so relied on they wouldn't approve much vacation days or days off here and there like they said they would upon hiring, working both weekend days every other week, and shift worked well for us but working till 10 pm FT made it hard to do much, DH and I not having much time together and having 4 kids to watch and get to the daycare by myself every AM I worked.

It's been very hard going to one income. We're full-on struggling. Looking for ways to make it work.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I'm a SAHM, but I previously worked in an HR position for 10 years.

MaineMammax2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Yup, we say you guys here too!! I am a sahm 5 days out of the week and on weekends I am a massage therapist. I love the fact that I can be with my girls and also be able to do a job I love more than any other that I've ever had!
Tazzgirl21
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a SAHM and I wish I had a job. I love my kids, but sometimes I need a break, and I think me having a job will help with that, but my dh wants me to be home with the kids. Having one income is hard :(
Mommy2Boys0900
by Unique Yanique on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I'm a paralegal in a personal injury law firm. I've been at my job for almost 13 years. I used to love it. Now, not so much. I would love to work in Family Court or a family law, law firm.
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I'm a SAHM and have been for 7 years. I love it and don't miss my old career as a Chef at all. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mandyj573
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I'm a business professor BUT I'm not teaching classes this summer so I'm a sham with an income till mid-August!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)