Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

any moms in this group had a tubal done after a vaginal birth

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
I plan to get my tubes tied after this baby. Any stories you can share, yours or others, I would greatly appreciate.
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sillyt
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I had mine done a couple of years after my youngest was born. I was unprepared for how long I would be unable to lift and move freely. I think it would have been a much better idea to have had it done immediately after she was born so that my recovery would coincide with my maternity leave. I remember that to be the most frustrating part of it all.

I didn't have any complications but for the first couple of periods following, I had an unusually heavy flow and really thought that I'd made a huge mistake. After about three months I felt fully recovered and started to feel like it was a good decision. I haven't had any long term adverse effects. I know that some do because I was here asking the same question before I had mine done and got some pretty scary replies. I'm glad I didn't listen.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Here's a bump for you!
okpondlady
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I had mine done after the birth of my second DD.  Just a tiny incision below my belly button.   I didn't realize it would be so hard on me.  When I had DD I was up that night walking around the hospital doing FINE.  Had that tubal the next morning and OMG I couldn't get out of bed!!!!!!  I felt like someone had cut me completely open.  They told me not to lift or carry anything heavier than the baby for 6 weeks.  Anyway, just be prepared to be out of commission for a few days if you have it like that.

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Bump

yroder2003
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM
When you had the procedure done, did you have an epiidural or were you put under?

Quoting sillyt:

I had mine done a couple of years after my youngest was born. I was unprepared for how long I would be unable to lift and move freely. I think it would have been a much better idea to have had it done immediately after she was born so that my recovery would coincide with my maternity leave. I remember that to be the most frustrating part of it all.

I didn't have any complications but for the first couple of periods following, I had an unusually heavy flow and really thought that I'd made a huge mistake. After about three months I felt fully recovered and started to feel like it was a good decision. I haven't had any long term adverse effects. I know that some do because I was here asking the same question before I had mine done and got some pretty scary replies. I'm glad I didn't listen.

yroder2003
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Were you put under for the procedure or did you have an epidural?

Quoting okpondlady:

I had mine done after the birth of my second DD.  Just a tiny incision below my belly button.   I didn't realize it would be so hard on me.  When I had DD I was up that night walking around the hospital doing FINE.  Had that tubal the next morning and OMG I couldn't get out of bed!!!!!!  I felt like someone had cut me completely open.  They told me not to lift or carry anything heavier than the baby for 6 weeks.  Anyway, just be prepared to be out of commission for a few days if you have it like that.

soymujer
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I had mine done the day after my youngest was born 8 years ago.  I was much more sore from the surgery than I was having the baby.  Also, they had to dig deeper for my tubes as they didn't settle where they were supposed to.

yroder2003
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM
I'm not so much worried about the pain that will come with having the procedure done, I've been reading that they either give you an epidural or put you under. I'm doing an unmedicated birth, so no epidural, but I also don't want to be put under, so I'm now not sure. I'm gonna talk with my doc about options.

Quoting soymujer:

I had mine done the day after my youngest was born 8 years ago.  I was much more sore from the surgery than I was having the baby.  Also, they had to dig deeper for my tubes as they didn't settle where they were supposed to.

okpondlady
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I was put under but that was also 17+ years ago.. so things may have changed.

Quoting yroder2003: Were you put under for the procedure or did you have an epidural?
Quoting okpondlady:

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

yroder2003
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Okay, thank you.

Quoting okpondlady:

I was put under but that was also 17+ years ago.. so things may have changed.

Quoting yroder2003: Were you put under for the procedure or did you have an epidural?

Quoting okpondlady:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN