Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I'm headed for a divorce :(

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM
  • 8 Replies

My dh is having an emotional affair with an ex. I think we're headed for a divorce. I live in Nebraska, family is in Utah. I would obviously have to move back with family. Which state would I file in? How do I handle this situation? Anyone please help! 

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Emmybrown
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Went throw the same thing as you well still waiting on the divorce to be settled. . My husband cheated on me and beat me.. you have to file it im whatever state / town you got married in... if you need anymore help feel free to contact me

Quoting hurst0three:

My dh is having an emotional affair with an ex. I think we're headed for a divorce. I live in Nebraska, family is in Utah. I would obviously have to move back with family. Which state would I file in? How do I handle this situation? Anyone please help! 

san33
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM
I have been divorced for a year. It's hard and they can make it much harder than it really has to be if he gets his mind set on it. Before moving back home be sure to check with a lawyer. He can press charges for kidnapping if you haven't been given primary custody of the kids. And he can keep you instate. He will have to approve you moving out of state with his child or you will be charged. I planned on moving when my oldest gets stationed. But my ex hasn't signed papers yet and it's looking like he won't. Which leaves the options to stay or let him have my son. And there is no way I would give up my little man, so we are stuck. Seems like an unfair law when the reason for divorce was his cheating, controlling, and abuse. After everything is done he still has a way to over power me.
Anyway good luck to you. I hope everything runs smoothly and quickly. Just be sure you check laws before leaving.
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I've never been in this situation so I am not sure where you would file but I am so sorry your going through this ((hugs))

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Hugs
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM
You don't have to file in the town and state you were married in, you do however need to take into consideration his role as their father before moving out of state. Typically you can file for divorce in any state once you've established residency in that state, following their laws for dissolution of a marriage.

Consulting with a family law attorney is your best bet in your situation.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:59 PM
This.

Quoting cali_angel_girl:

I've never been in this situation so I am not sure where you would file but I am so sorry your going through this ((hugs))

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Hugs!
hurst0three
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks everyone. We're going to have a discussion tomorrow about our next steps. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)