Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You will survive without a car son... I promise!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:21 PM
  • 16 Replies

18yo DS will be off to college here in less than 2 months. His current vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Caravan. $500 worth of transmission problems that need fixed. No way he is going to take it to college (which is about 90 minutes from home).

MY plan is to sell it come beginning of August so I can stop paying insurance on it & him! Insurance went up by $100 when I added him! 

He won't need it because he will be living on campus & working at the college as part of his finacial aid package. I MIGHT give him some of the money I get from selling it.... maybe.

But I know he will file taxes for the 1st time next year & he might get a nice little bit back from that so he can buy something small with what he gets. It's only going to be 6 months. 

So tell me.... did you survive your freshman year without a car??

simple smile

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Some colleges don't let freshmen have cars unless they live off campus. If he's living on campus than he could use public transportation until he gets a new car
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Bump!
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Yes, I did, but it was hard. I had to rely on everyone else for transporation to/from everywhere I needed to go, or walk. The closest grocery stores were not very close.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Yes I did.

ETA:
I didn't even have my drivers license my freshman year of college.
mommieof38829
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:49 PM
That would suck u couldn't imagine not having a car. I got my first at 15.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM
I didn't have a car at college at all
ranchmama21
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Due to living off campus, working and daily running errands that required commuting longer distances (easy to put 150 miles a day..120 of it was driving home and back round trip, which often my mom and I would take turns car pooling witheachother), I needed a vehicle. I paid my insurance and gas but the vehicle remained titled to my parents and insurance as that first vehicle, was more so a "pass down loaner". The second vehicle, I earned along the way by doing right. Later traded in, then later after that traded in again. Each time for something better as got financially off to do so.

If he lives on campus and shopping centers are close by (for food etc). I am sure he would do okay with out a vehicle as long as public transportation could allow him to go to certain places. If not, he could always bum a ride from a friend/classmate and give gas money for it. But I don't see an issue if you wanted to sale it if it is in your name and you know it wont last him long other wise.

linz04060913
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Didn't have my dl till I met my dh. I didn't live on campus, but my mom drove me there and I always caught a ride home with someone. It's wasn't real safe then, but I found nice people to help me out

MinglingMom
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Depends on the college. At my undergraduate it was not possible. At my graduate school, piece of cake.
KikiKia
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Yup I did not have a car in college at all.  It sucked sometimes but I was in awesome shape because I biked everywhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)