Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Worst Visit Ever! UPDATED! (7/10/14)

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

I love my sister and i love my nephews but them staying with us is not working out.  3 years ago, she came to visit without her boys and it was an amazing trip, but this time not so much.  We live in a top apartment so there are people that live below us.  Both boys are autistic which i get, but she isn't consistent with them, gives them non stop soda, and they don't listen to her at all.  The youngest is nine and weighs roughly 90 lbs.  he stomps when he gets mad, i mean stomps hard.  We are getting worried about getting a lease infraction.  he also smacks his head on things.  we can't afford to patch a hole if he does it with his head.  the house is trashed because her kids don't pick up after themselves at all (they are 9 and 11).  they run off, throw temper tantrums when they are too hot (which is all the time since we are in the 100s).  they have only been here for 6 days and i'm already counting down the days when they leave which is 9 more days.    we are suppose to do snooze at the zoo but it looks like that might not happen because her boys are homesick at night and have meltdowns when they are tired.  

So things seemed to get a little better.  My sister figured out that the boys were probably grumpy from lack of sleep because they are used to having melatonin at night.  Well thats a start.  Monday night they went to bed good, same with Tuesday night.  I was actually starting to feel a little bad about being grumpy and pissy.  But then this morning happened.  Her boys were trying to use the microwave and stove this morning when i was leaving for work and she was still asleep so i woke her up before i left.  I will get charged by property management if those break because of lack of supervision from kids in the home, yes even the mrcrowave came with the place.  My husband slept in because last night she didn't give the kids melatonin and we couldn't get to sleep until almost midnight because of the meltdowns.  she's pissed off because my husband slept in.  i have had to work this week.  i don't get vacation pay so yes i need to work.  i can't take almost 3 weeks off of work.  we wouldn't be able to even pay rent.  her kids don't pick up after themselves at all.  my husband has been having to skip some outings to be able to clean the house whitout them there just to keep up with the house somewhat.  Yesterday he said they were acting up and throwing fits in the middle of the restaurant and their mom offered to take them to toys r us to get a toy if they would just stop.  my husbands jaw hit the floor.  Oh and just now he texted me and said the kids were having a melt down because they passed chuckie cheese in the car.  i don't know how much more i can handle.  dd has her birthday party on sunday, i hope everything goes well.

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mjimaging
by Melissa on Jul. 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM
That's hard. If they do damage I'd make her pay for it. She needs to be keeping them under control when she is visiting. I'm on my kids like crazy when we are at someone else's house.
HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM

yeah this morning my husband was laying in bed and said he heard her son stomp so hard it shook the house and did it 13 times and she didn't even say anything, just completely ignored him.  i get that she's used to tuning them out at home, but she needs to understand that we aren't used to that.  we do have a dd that is on the lower end of the autism spectrum, she acts nothing like that.  they are well behaved when they are left with us alone, but the minute she walks in the door, they are insane.  she bought them a picture schedule to see if that helps, but she's not following it even remotely closely.  last night she had that bedtime was 8:00 but didn't tell them to get jammies on until 10 and even then she was so lethargic about it that they didn't even start until 10:30.  

Quoting mjimaging: That's hard. If they do damage I'd make her pay for it. She needs to be keeping them under control when she is visiting. I'm on my kids like crazy when we are at someone else's house.

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:10 PM
That would drive me bonkers. I get cranky when my SIL makes her kids a special meal every meal. They never wear what's prepared. My son will eat what we make but not when they are around. He wants the special meal too. Drives me nuts.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

yeah this morning my husband was laying in bed and said he heard her son stomp so hard it shook the house and did it 13 times and she didn't even say anything, just completely ignored him.  i get that she's used to tuning them out at home, but she needs to understand that we aren't used to that.  we do have a dd that is on the lower end of the autism spectrum, she acts nothing like that.  they are well behaved when they are left with us alone, but the minute she walks in the door, they are insane.  she bought them a picture schedule to see if that helps, but she's not following it even remotely closely.  last night she had that bedtime was 8:00 but didn't tell them to get jammies on until 10 and even then she was so lethargic about it that they didn't even start until 10:30.  

Quoting mjimaging: That's hard. If they do damage I'd make her pay for it. She needs to be keeping them under control when she is visiting. I'm on my kids like crazy when we are at someone else's house.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

one kid is the pickiest kid i've ever seen, seriously in a week all he's eaten is Reeses Puffs, Goldfish and French Fries.  The other kid is eating us out of house and home.

Quoting mjimaging: That would drive me bonkers. I get cranky when my SIL makes her kids a special meal every meal. They never wear what's prepared. My son will eat what we make but not when they are around. He wants the special meal too. Drives me nuts.
Quoting HaileysMom07180:

nurse1997
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is what you do get your neighbor a gift card from some where like 50 bucks and  go down there and talk to her tell her you are sorry and you re trying to keep them quite she will understand and she will understand you are stuck ;)

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM

My kids get like that when my sister's kids are over. Mostly my daughter. I hate it. My sister's kids literally eat nothing but junk. Her oldest eats (and I'm not kidding) white rice, nacho Doritos, vienna sausage and chicken nuggets. That's it. And the kid is 9. 

Quoting mjimaging: That would drive me bonkers. I get cranky when my SIL makes her kids a special meal every meal. They never wear what's prepared. My son will eat what we make but not when they are around. He wants the special meal too. Drives me nuts.
Quoting HaileysMom07180:

wedding countdown
Nicole_2007
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I am sorry you are having a bad visit with her kids.  Are her kids High Functioning Autistic?  I have a almost 8 year old that is High Functioning Autistic and she acts like that.  No matter what I do or say she still acts like that and it gets to be were I don't take her anywere because of how she acts.  I am sorry you are having to deal with all of this.  It does get hard and whith your sister not making them mind it makes it even harder.  I would talk to your down stair neighbor and let her know whats going on.  Hopefully she will understand

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)