Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

A friendly debate...

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM
  • 8 Replies
How would you feel if your mayor wanted to turn your town into a place for refugee children at the border from Mexico to come and live? Yes, our mayor is currently wanting to do this, and people are in an uproar about it. I myself am against it.

I hate to see any children suffer, but we need to take care of our own people and our own homeless families in our area. We can't even afford to take care of our own homeless people or build a flood wall that we so desperately need, but we're supposed to have money to take in all these refugee children? What happens to the taxpayers when all these children come here to live? Where will they all go? If they're coming from Mexico who knows what possible diseases they could be bringing with them and could endanger our childrens health.

My feelings are, don't just send your children here for us to take care of. We're not their parents. You want them to have a better life, you do what you need to do to become a citizen and then move here. You get a real job that you pay taxes on. No under the table crap. I would never move to another country without being a legal citizen and learning their language.

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Osstie
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM
My feeling is that these people are doing what they need to do to survive. There is no blame to be put on the immigrants - they are flesh and blood. What would you be willing to do to make sure your child was fed, clothed, and housed? I'm guessing probably anything, right?

I'm not saying it should be the tax paying middle class' burden and responsibility, but what is the solution? I mean REALLY. It is a crisis! I don't know the answer, and the government doesn't either. That's my 2 cents :)
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

While I feel for these children, they came here illegally.  We need to tighten our borders so things like this don't happen.  

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I have fairly strong opinions on illegals here and taking our jobs, not learning and unwilling to learn our language and so forth. I work in banking and half of them can't even fill out the LEGAL document to receive cash. I've seen checks come through when I lived in Wyoming and the ID provided stated right on it "not eligible to work in the US" and they were receiving payroll checks. My husband has been passed up for jobs that were in turn given to people over here on work visas. He needs a job and can't get it because they can pay two of them what they would have to pay him. As far as the kids, unless there is a family adopting them, they should not be here. That family would take financial responsibility, not the tax payers and the biological parents would be 100% out of the picture. Some IDs that come through aren't even in English. Then I have to figure out what the darn thing says so I can document their info. Uggg, it's frustrating.
M0M0F3B0YS82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM

My view is this, they need to go back to where they came from, not only are these kids risking OUR country by brining desiease since all of the kids have no medical care done (at least the ones from Honduras) The family that sent them here are getting what they paid for, it will take over a year for 1 child to get a court date and during that time they are here safe and sound and getting food, medical, and anything else they need. Yes its sad that these are children but what about the children we have in our own country who are going hungry, the vetrans who use to fight for our freedom they dont have what they need. 

Take all the prisoners take them to Honduras and Mexico with nothing but the clothes they have and put the kids in the prizons so they can have a safe place to be since I feel this is going to get real ugly. Ive seen some posts on FB get really ugly and its sad all around. 

Kissybratzmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM
What about the children in our country? Shouldn't they come first? How many homeless families and children do we have right here in the United States. We need to help our people before we help people from other countries. Their problems shouldn't be our burden.

Quoting Osstie: My feeling is that these people are doing what they need to do to survive. There is no blame to be put on the immigrants - they are flesh and blood. What would you be willing to do to make sure your child was fed, clothed, and housed? I'm guessing probably anything, right?

I'm not saying it should be the tax paying middle class' burden and responsibility, but what is the solution? I mean REALLY. It is a crisis! I don't know the answer, and the government doesn't either. That's my 2 cents :)
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM

As a parent I'd like to think I'd do whatever it took. But as a resident of this already falling apart country I think we need to strengthen ourselves before we start trying to take care of others. 

We don't let people who don't have their stuff together adopt children, or even pets. So why are we trying to take in more than we can handle with this? I hope that made sense. 

ElishaF
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM
I grew up by the Mexico border. Unaccompanied minors crossing has never been a crisis before. This is a recent problem. It is incredibly dangerous for people to cross illegally, especially children. If they cross through Mexico they have to cross a desert. Lots of people die. Coyotes are heartless horrible people that take advantage of these people. They steal from them, rape women and children, murder people, and treat them worse than cattle. Somewhere along the line someone started telling people the US wouldn't refuse or deport children who cross illegally. These children have been through a lot.

I feel for them and I understand their parents wanting a better life for them. I don't believe this is the way to accomplish that. These children need to be sent back home and reunited with their families. From the pictures I have seen the conditions that these children are being kept in here are horrible. Criminals in our prisons aren't sleeping on the floor with everyone crammed together in large rooms.

Illegal aliens come from countries all over the world. Most of them choose to cross from Mexico. Most people that cross illegally are good, hardworking people who are searching for a better life for their families. I truly feel for these people, but they need to come over legally. The others are cartel members and criminals. There is an immigration system in place. It isn't perfect and it does need an overhaul. There isn't an easy answer for solving the issue and i don't have a solution.

What I do know is EVERY country has immigration laws. Most of them have severe punishments for crossing illegally. If world leaders cared more about the people in their own countries and less about their own pockets we wouldn't have this problem.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:10 PM
This, exactly.

Quoting Briesmom38:

While I feel for these children, they came here illegally.  We need to tighten our borders so things like this don't happen.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)