Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

help me i need a good budget

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM
  • 14 Replies

my 3 kids come and visit for the summer which really is AWESOME BBBBBUUUUTTTTT they eat alot. i have a 12 g, 10b,7b and not only that but i have a 13,10,8 step children and a 2 year old daughter. so 7 kids!!!! my husband only makes $510 a week. Our rent is next to NONE really BUT i take out $220 a week for bills.99% of the time that money is spend on gas and food. So im lost on how to make this a shopping list to fit our budget so when next payday comes we still have money left in the bank. Before my husband got paid today we had 34cents left in the bank. Sooooo i know i know i need to get a job BUT then i wouldnt have my summers with my kids and its really important to me. When they arent here we dont struggle that much.

- We do not eat out only on Sundays after church which is ALWAYS little ceasers $5 dollar pizzas(2 of them)

-Town is 45 minutes away so if i go shopping i better get it all at once or else i am spending more money on gas which is normally what happens

-i dont qualify for food stamps because they think he makes enough, which they are right....when its just my husband,my 2yr and I but every other weekend my step kids come over and my kids are here during all school breaks

I just need help because i dont know what to do. If i were to spend $120 and get everything and not have to go back to town until the following week then that would be awesome but i can never get my food bill under $160 and it really sucks

Advice ladies PLEASE

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Do you meal plan? Do you coupon? How often do you do a meal without meat? Dried beans are an economical way to get protein.
DLinnMare
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:25 AM
No I don't meal plan. I normally pull out meat and then google a receipt because I don't want to eat the same things all the time but I think if I just meal plan that might help. I don't coupon but I will start buying the Sunday paper.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:26 AM
Great questions and idea! 😊

Quoting e-doolittle: Do you meal plan? Do you coupon? How often do you do a meal without meat? Dried beans are an economical way to get protein.
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

What about going to a food bank?  They could help with some things - this way you could spread your cash out a little farther when going grocery shopping.

Remember to take a look at your grocery store's sales ad, sometimes you can sink up items that are on sale with coupons.

Meal planning is really helpful!

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't need to buy the Sunday paper you can get tons of coupons online for free.  Start with coupons.com  they always have great ones.

Quoting DLinnMare: No I don't meal plan. I normally pull out meat and then google a receipt because I don't want to eat the same things all the time but I think if I just meal plan that might help. I don't coupon but I will start buying the Sunday paper.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:37 AM
My husband was spending $600 a month on groceries. I told him that just isn't going to cut it. So we started meal planning. We make a 14 day menu (we use DH's check for groceries and e is paid every two weeks). We then put everything needed for that menu on the shopping list. Instead of buying cut up chickens, we buy whole. We buy large roasts and slow cook them and get three meals from one package of meat. We buy in bulk at SAMs club and divide it up and freeze it. But money is tight for us so when we put all our bill money aside, go grocery shopping and try and get gas, we often have nothing left. But all the bills are paid and we have good in the house. Less shopping trips, less impulse. Stick to the list and it helps a ton. We are down to about $100 a week on groceries.
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

stop purchasing the following items and make them at home: most household cleaners( glass, bathroom , all purpose, laundry soap, and fabric Softner) not only will you save money, you will have a healthier, cleaner home. Condiments like ketchup, BBQ, sauce and mayo or can also be made at home. Do you have a bread machine? Bake your own bread. 

YNot4ever
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Dont buy a lot of beverages, drink water.  No need to supply 7 kids with soda and juice (You don't say either way, I just hitting on high expense items..).  

Limit their snacks.  Kids will snack all day long if they are allowed and can eat you out of the house.  Leave out lots of fruits and veggies.  

Meat - buy whatever is one sale that week and plan the meals around that.  

Milk can be frozen.  If it is super cheap, buy extra and freeze

Avoid name brand cereal, buy off brand.  Though you can do cheaper things for breakfast.  

Avoid convenience foods.  Like snack size packages of chips, cookies, etc.  Buy the big bag and divide out the serving sizes yourself.  

Stock up on cheap stables.  Rice, beans, etc.  Use them as sides.  

Shop around.  If you have to drive 45 minutes to get groceries, hit several stores to get the sales at each one.  

Coupon - stack a coupon with a sale and you can get some great deals.

Kissybratzmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Besides couponing you can look at all your local ads and price match at Walmart. I believe Target now price matches as well. Meal plan. I love Pinterest.
Kissybratzmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM
And no one says you have to cook every night. You could have sandwiches or something simple. I refuse to buy frozen potatoes. I buy a big bag when they're on sale and make my own French fries and hashbrowns.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)