Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Kids and cell phones

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM
  • 29 Replies

I have been needing to bounce this questions off of some ladies.  What age do you think it is ok for your child to have a cell phone.  And should they have one that gives them access to the internet (smartphone)?  

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kissybratzmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM
When my daughter started junior high she got a basic phone, but mainly because she rode the city bus for school. I was nice and got her an iphone last year (she was 14) but she abused her privileges after a couple months and I took it away and she got another basic phone.
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM

My dd got her phone when she entered the 6th grade.  We don't have a land line and she needed to call me when she got home every day.  She's going into the 8th grade and still has the same basic phone,lol  She can text and of course call.  Her phone even though it's basic can still access the internet, but I had it blocked, I don't have unlimited data and I know she'd go over what she's suppose to use.  Besides she has an Ipod which is great for her.

I told her when she goes into high school I'll upgrade her phone to an Iphone, mainly because I'll be going onto the plan here at work and I won't need my phone any longer - it will be way less expensive!

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

JadeTigr7
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Not until they can pay for it .

AmyG1976
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

back in the day mom said Got your Quater now pay phones dont exist so now mom says "got your cell phone" . When the kid starts playing with friends without you there or starts a sports teams gets dropped off places you will have to pick them up at or whenever you the mom choose to :) smart phone not for my kids I dont want them to have whatever access to the internet without my permission. They all get reg phones on our plan. My oldest was idk 12 11? her friends mom threw a fit said why dont need yaydadada (she didnt want to buy one okay shrugss) then though told her kid TOLD her kid to use my kids phone to call for ride after volleyball at the time we didnt have unlimited we broke I put a stop to it emergacys or friend needs to use once in awhile fine no prob but every single day NOPE sorry that friend had a phone a week later.  My kids are now 18 -had since 11 or 12, 13 -had since idk 11ish, 11 had since 9ish shares phone with 9 yr old brother at this time I dont think we need a 4th phone for the kids because they often are together or only one leaves so that one takes the phone.

irishmamato2
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My son got his phone when he was 11. I already had 3 lines on my account because my mother was on the 3rd line. When she finally got her own line, I kept the 3rd line and gave it to my son. He got it because my daughter and him wanted to bike riders to school, so I wanted him to have something to call me and tell me that they were at school every single day.

My daughter got one last year right after Christmas and she is 9. She uses it to tell us where she is at one our street as a good portion of her friends live on our street. It also came in handy when she went to a friends birthday party in Orlando as she was able to let me know how the ride to Orlando and back went.

I have seen kids here in Kindergarten that have cell phones already. Last year I saw a little boy who was in kindergarten in the hallway in a line by his classroom door messing on an iphone while waiting for the doors to the rooms to be opened at 7:45am. 

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm saying no to cell phones as long as possible.

Right now, my instinct is to wait until they are driving.

And no to a smartphone.

I don't care what the culture says is normal or necessary. My children will be weirdos and I'm completely okay with that.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM

My dd is 7 and won't be getting a phone any time soon.  I'll consider it when she starts middle school.

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM

my oldest got his cell phone when he was 10 and a half or so. He was riding his bike to and from schools, taekwondo class, the park, friends homes etc and there are no pay phones so this is our change for a phone call....

My middle son is 10 and no where near as independant as his brother was at that age. He is either with me or DH or his older brother so there is no need for him to have a cell phone at this time. When he starts going more places on his own then we will consider a phone for him. The same will go for our 7 year old.

I dont even have internet access on my phone so that will not be a luxury we will be providing.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I agree, and when you think they're responsible enough to use it the way it should be used.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Not until they can pay for it .

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Right know when they can afford to pay for them every month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN