Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

swiss chard

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm making it as a side dish / veggie for dinner but no idea how / what.  We are eating steaks as a main dish.

Ladies, give me your best swiss chard recipe, please !!!!!!!!!!!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Apparently swiss chard is not popular with CM members ...  lol

I did a basic recipe ; pan wilted with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, fresh nutmeg.   Yesterday I went to the farmer's market and got some again ... I really liked it and want to work with this again.

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM

LOL  I've never had it!

I've seen it, but that's as close as I've gotten to it,lol

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

it's like a milder version of spinach. So what ever requires spinach, can take swiss chard instead.

I remember my grand mother used to make it when I was little, baked in bechamel sauce and I used to like it then too.  This is my challenge for next week, find another recipe that features Swiss chard in a interesting way as a side dish

Quoting Briesmom38:

LOL  I've never had it!

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM

that sounds good.  No one else will eat spinach in my family but me.

Quoting Jinxed8:

it's like a milder version of spinach. So what ever requires spinach, can take swiss chard instead.

I remember my grand mother used to make it when I was little, baked in bechamel sauce and I used to like it then too.  This is my challenge for next week, find another recipe that features Swiss chard in a interesting way as a side dish

Quoting Briesmom38:

LOL  I've never had it!

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM

there's no harm in trying ... DD doesn't like spinach either but she will eat it if I make stuff like manicottis, stuffed shells or mix it in the ricotta layer of a lasagna. (I tell her it's chopped brocoli LMAO)  A few weeks ago I made tortelini florentine which is a cream sauce with spinach in it.  I made it with fresh young spinach and DD actually liked it. And yes I did tell her it was spinach ...

Quoting Briesmom38:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Briesmom38:

LOL  I've never had it!

Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I might have to try that.  I don't normally like sneaking things in like that, dd can pick pretty much anything out...  But it can't hurt to try.

Quoting Jinxed8:

there's no harm in trying ... DD doesn't like spinach either but she will eat it if I make stuff like manicottis, stuffed shells or mix it in the ricotta layer of a lasagna. (I tell her it's chopped brocoli LMAO)  A few weeks ago I made tortelini florentine which is a cream sauce with spinach in it.  I made it with fresh young spinach and DD actually liked it. And yes I did tell her it was spinach ...

Quoting Briesmom38:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Briesmom38:

LOL  I've never had it!

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Sounds good!  I've heard of it, but I've never had it before.  I'll have to look for it.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Apparently swiss chard is not popular with CM members ...  lol

I did a basic recipe ; pan wilted with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, fresh nutmeg.   Yesterday I went to the farmer's market and got some again ... I really liked it and want to work with this again.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM
This.

Quoting Briesmom38:

LOL  I've never had it!

12yrmama
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:36 PM

It's like a lot of other dark greens. I used to be a cook and our gardens were full of it, I could sub it in for any basic green leaf in a recipe. My favorite is stewed a little, with onion. :) It's also good in salads with lots of other veg.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Never had it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)