Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone here work in retail?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am job searching and have been avoiding retail jobs but might go ahead and start applying. I worked in retail for many years, before kids. I would make sure they can work my schedule around dropping off/icking up ds from school. But my biggest concern is black friday. DH doesnt have off work and he only has a work van (not family-friendly at all). There is no family around. If I had to work black friday that would be like 5 am. maybe earlier. If you work in retail, what do you do about your kids, in that situation?

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momofthem311
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I've worked in retail before, Sams Club. I always had someone to watch my kids, my mother. When I was single I got free head start and only worked 8-5 M-F because there's no free child care on weekends. You just have to figure it out I guess. Make sure they know you can't work at that time before they hire you. Some places will care and some won't.
lizfnf
by Liz on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:38 PM
I worked retail when I was in high school and college. My advice is work for an independently owned store. I worked for a stationery/craft store that was owned by a woman and loved it. Yes, I had to work black friday but it was normal hours. Our busiest time was back to school which was stressful since my boss relied om me after I had been there awhile so I had to cut it close to my class schedule. She always worked with me though.
Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

You may not have to work Black Friday. Also, if you list your hours as 8 to 3 daily, they will work in that schedule.

Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Have you inquired about any work from home jobs?

Owl_Feather
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Quoting Sigmalade:

Have you inquired about any work from home jobs?

the majority of them or scams. And the csr jobs require a quiet room. We dont really have any privacy in this house O_o

VSBSecret813
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I have worked in retail for a while with just my DH but, my ex was home with her that. day. I do know that some companies will make changes for you but you still have time just because you are applying for a job in retail now does not mean you will still be there in a few months.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM
This.

Quoting Sigmalade:

You may not have to work Black Friday. Also, if you list your hours as 8 to 3 daily, they will work in that schedule.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I have worked in retail for 8 years and most places will work with your avaiablity but you have to be at least avaiable on the weekends and hoildays. I work part time nights so I'm able to be home with my boys during the day and weekends I work whenever and my husband usually watches out boys but if he has to work my in laws will watch them. All the places I have work I have only worked black friday twice and worked at night. The job I"m currenlty working my manager asked anyone to be aviable the weekend of Thanksgiving/Black Friday and not really asked off because we usually get busy that weekend and he just wants to make sure he has enough people on and I may not be schedule but he knows I"m avaible if he needs me. He does work with everyone schedule and last year for those who worked on Thanksgiving he schedule them later on black friday or given them the day off but worked on the weekend. If I have to work on a holiday my husband watches our boys.

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM

My last (and final) retail job I laid out my specific availability of every other weekend due to my school schedule of interning and my weekends with my daughter at my interview. Regardless of the fact that they hired me with that schedule, and my weekend with my daughter falling on Thanksgiving/Black Friday, they opened all of the students schedules that weekend (because NO ONE had school and would have free time to work) and I was scheduled to work. Needless to say, I was sorely upset and turned in my notice soon thereafter. So yes, if you work for a major retailer, you will be expected to have open availability for Black Friday, Christmas Eve, and the day after Christmas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)