Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Re-Decorating

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 9 Replies

So since my daughter will be in Kindergarten this year, we are thinking about upgrading her room so it is more 'grown-up'. Like taking out her toy box and putting in a school desk where she can draw, color, do homework when she is in 1st grade and beyond, etc. What do you think? I ran it past her and she is liking it, but wants her own lap top to go on the desk lol When did you change your childs room? Oh she is 5 now, but would be 6 going on 7 next year.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM
I'm working on changing my 4 year olds room some. She has a toddler bed that must go soon!
My 7 year old has almost all toys in his closet. Only his Lego table doesn't fit.
lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Changing the room sounds good to me.  My dd got a new room when she was 3, but that was because we moved.  

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I don't think I'd take out the toy box if I were in your situation. Your DD is still young enough that she should still be playing with toys and dolls and I'd be concerned about storage. But a desk is a good idea.

When we moved a few years ago, we converted my DD's changing table to a storage area. She uses the top part for displaying favorite toys and the bottom parts are for stashing things away and a nook for her dirty clothes hampers. She still has her armoire, but lots of her dresses are too long to fit in the hang up section of it so they go in her closet with winter coats and the drawers in it are used for her foldable clothes.

My DD turned 10 this summer and I would like to do a real update to her room but we are having trouble spreading the money around to all the stuff that needs to get taken care of.

Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Thanks, ladies :)

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:32 PM
We are thinking of doing this too. Not the desk yet, but making the theme older
countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:30 AM

We just re did our kids rooms last year. They never really had "nurseries" in the true sense though. We painted our daughter's room in bright colors. 3 of her walls are bright purple, her window wall is bright pink and the bottom of her wall under the moulding is bright green. Her curtains are bright purple with flowers on them and all of her trim and her door is bright white. It still doesn't look girly though. I think because the floor is stained cement that's a dark brown color. I was just telling my husband that we need to get her some bright rugs and wall decorations to dress it up a bit. 

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Typically every 4 years is good.  DD had a baby room, I redid it into a kid's room when she was 4.   Then I divorced and moved when she was 6 so did her room in the new house when we moved in - Redid her room this spring (10 y.o.) now we re-did her room with a Monster high Theme - So I doubt very much she will still be into Monster high dolls when she's 14 - But we used Decals and posters to to decorate so it's easily removable when the time comes, bedding and curtains are also easily changed.  I may force her to keep the blue walls until she's 14 though.

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this

^^ that being said DD still has toy boxes in her room I got her this :

You can find this at Ikea - you can also get the frame in white or black and choose the color & sizes of the bins

My DD has the one shown above here ^^^ with the multiple sized bins she still uses them - they are AWESOME  she uses them to put away toys, arts and crafts stuff, teddy bears , board games, her ipod, DSi head phones, etc ...

Crissy2424
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:56 PM

:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)