Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Switched at birth..

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM
  • 12 Replies
This comes from a movie I just watched. After six years of raising who they thought was their son, the hospital called to say that there son was switched with another family. It was a true story, and it got me thinking. What would you do in this situation? We are assuming the other family will do whatever you decide.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't want anything to change. I love my children and they are mine regardless of DNA.
KairisMama
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That would be horrible. My child is my child, who I've raised all these years. Even if such terrible news was given, I'd not want to give up the child I am raising now. I'd assume the other parents would feel the same. I'd want to work something out to get to know my bio child of course, but I couldn't just let the child I'd been raising go. I can't even imagine.

How did the story turn out?

mrfi4916
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM
I agree.

As far as the movie, the children came from two different worlds. One was wealthy and strict with just the one child, while the other was a small business owner, 3 other children and they didn't have luxuries, but they where happy. Rich dad originally wanted to switch, and so that's what they did. But in the end he realized that he loved the child he raised and ended up switching agian. And the way the movie left off, I can only assume that both families maintained contact.

Quoting KairisMama:

That would be horrible. My child is my child, who I've raised all these years. Even if such terrible news was given, I'd not want to give up the child I am raising now. I'd assume the other parents would feel the same. I'd want to work something out to get to know my bio child of course, but I couldn't just let the child I'd been raising go. I can't even imagine.

IQuitCounting
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I wouldn't do anything.  I wouldn't want to know the other family or child and I would want to continue to raise our son as ours.  The only thing I would ask is to exchange medical history for the families so if anything should arise Dr's can be appropriately apprised.

gkcathey
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

So the other family would go along with my decision?  Great - then give me my bio child, please, and I'm also keeping this one that I love and have raised the last 6 years.  :)  Not fair?  Oh, sorry....the OP said I could do what I wanted and the other family would go along! :)

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

being a mother goes beyond DNA.  After raising and loving a child for 6 years I couldn't just "give it back" for a trade-in.  Just like if today I found out my parents were adoptive parents it wouldn't change the fact that they have been my parents all my life.

You know DH is not DD's biological dad, he's been part of her life since she's 6 years old, but he's more of a father to her than her real father is.

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I agree with this...

Quoting KairisMama:

sahm978
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM
YES! This:)

Quoting gkcathey:

So the other family would go along with my decision?  Great - then give me my bio child, please, and I'm also keeping this one that I love and have raised the last 6 years.  :)  Not fair?  Oh, sorry....the OP said I could do what I wanted and the other family would go along! :)

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM
So do I.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I agree with this...

Quoting KairisMama:

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Lol. Sign me up too!

Quoting gkcathey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)