Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

would you let your 5 year old.**EDIT**

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 64 Replies
1 mom liked this
Would you let your 5 year old walk alone to the bus stop?

A bit more info. I live in a really small neighborhood that is about a 1/2 mile off a busy road. The bus stop is located on the corner of that busy road and our little three street neighborhood.

Long story sort: walking each day to get him on/off the bus is really difficult.

Am I a horrible parent for letting him walk alone to te bus stop without me? Keep in mind there are other kids amd parents that walk to and from. I don't think he would ever be alone.

Thoughts???? We do live in a nice town and a decent area. But we are near student (college) housing.

**EDIT**
1: I asked if you would let your child. I never said I WOULD let my son necessarily. I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Good grief!

2: For those of you who said kind words or offered respectful opinion/ideas - - THANKS;-)

3: Those of you who decided it was 'bash the crazy lady post,' you should be ashamed of youselves! Why is everyone on this site so quick to be total b!tches?? Is your life so boring that you have to bash someone you'll never meet, just to feel better about your life? Oh I forgot - high school never end for you... LOL. It's easy to hide behind your anon button.

4: For the lovely lady who offered the bitchy welcome to CM comment, I've been on here for a long time!!!! And thanks for the sh!tty hello.

LASTLY: I'm headed out to look for a new van this weekend. I was hoping to avoid this, but who doesn't love a new car?? ;-)
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I wouldn't and I live in a small quiet town.  my DD's bus picks her up at the bottom of our driveway and they won't even pick her up or drop her off unless an adult is with her until she's in 2nd or 3rd grade.

meaghan116
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Sorry that's too young! And I'm totally not a helicopter parent I believe in giving kids freedom but I wouldn't let him go by a busy street without adult supervision.. Too young!

He could also be snatched.

Maybe make an arraignment with another mother who's kid is on the bus too? You said there are other kids at that stop...
schatzi869
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Absolutely not. I don't know your story, but if you don't mind my asking, why is it difficult for you to walk your kid to school? I would ask another mom to let your child walk with them.
anotherandree
by Inga on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Could you drive him to school? I know it might be a pain but it would be easier physically for you.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM
No I wouldn't.
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM

no. I just now feel comfortable enough to let him play outside by himself if I have to run inside for the bathroom or something. He's 6. I would never let him walk down the street by himself. There are no sidewalks and a bunch of assholes on the street who care more about making their tires screech and drive fast down the road than follow the rules and drive cautiously. There are also a lot of stray dogs on the street who wuld eaily run up and bite him. It happened to me when I went for a jog!

smorgan865
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM
No. Even when I was a kid we didn't walk alone until middle school and my mom was not remotely what you'd call a helicopter parent.

The school my DS will be attending is 2 blocks from our house and I won't be letting him walk alone.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM
This.

Quoting anotherandree: Could you drive him to school? I know it might be a pain but it would be easier physically for you.
Carolynishappy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM
My ds is 10 and I still walk with him to the bus stop. 5 is WAAAAAAAAY to young.
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't.  I have problems with my knees, and I live in the back of a complex that is uphill/downhill both ways... it's fing hard some days, but there's no way I'd let my son walk to the bus alone and he's 6.  I'm going to see about making friends with neighbors that also take kids down in the hopes that maybe this year I can have help on bad days.  I have a car two days a week and just drive him down.

Anyway, I would reccomend trying to find another parent you trust that might be willing to let him walk with them to the bus.  Frankly bad people can live anywhere, even in small towns... they can look like normal every day people... so no, I would never let my son walk to the bus stop alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN