Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

If your child's school...

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM
  • 19 Replies
Was failing the no child Left behind tests would you consider switching schools?

My sons school only got a 59% overall. That worries me. I can keep him there, or move him into another school that is in the district as long as it's not failing. I really like his teacher so far and she seems nice, but nice doesn't cut it when it comes to education. However, if he can't get bussed to a new school I'm pretty much stuck keeping him at the one he's at.
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM
That's tough. How were his scores? Also as enrollment decreases the teacher/student ratio will be better. See what you can find out about his teacher. Also, our elementary school is one of the few in our county that has special education/needs classrooms, but these children aren't exempt from the state tests. Which is ridiculous for many reasons, but it does bring our state standing down, but all out teachers are wonderful.
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM

How old is your son and how is he doing in school?

Kissybratzmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:53 PM
He just started kindergarten.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

How old is your son and how is he doing in school?

Kissybratzmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM
He's only in kindergarten. I did a little research on goodschools.org and his school is only rated 1 out of 10. Their highest test score is 64%. The lowest being 47%.

The school I'm thinking of maybe sending him to is a 6, and the best in our area. Their scores are a minimum of 80%.

Quoting lizfnf: That's tough. How were his scores? Also as enrollment decreases the teacher/student ratio will be better. See what you can find out about his teacher. Also, our elementary school is one of the few in our county that has special education/needs classrooms, but these children aren't exempt from the state tests. Which is ridiculous for many reasons, but it does bring our state standing down, but all out teachers are wonderful.
mamacalifornia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Yep I would move them in a heartbeat in fact if my kids couldn't attend the school they are in I would homeschool them. Luckily my kids go to one of the top accredited schools in California, they attend school in another district from the one we live in.  If you have the choice and are able to switch I would your child's education is very important. 

ms.renae
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM
The same thing is going on at my kids school. My kids have 2 of the best teachers at the school and I personally know them so I'm too worried. I am looking at other schools still even though they have great teachers
MeAndTommyLee
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
No. The variables not taken into consideration in scoring those tests are numerous.
twinmama2b
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Switch schools asap
Kissybratzmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Such as?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: No. The variables not taken into consideration in scoring those tests are numerous.
KeepOnTryin
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I would definitely change schools. That's horrible!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)