Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you clean the car seats?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 10 Replies
I'm sitting at my table now cleaning my son's car seat and I'm wondering how many times do you ladies clean your kids car seats. I clean ds at least once a month with the addition of messes and road trips, but is that too much or not enough? The cover is completely off, including the belt, and is in the washer. I am taking a special car detailing cleaner, called New Wave, and cleaning the seat itself and the buckles. So what's your number ladies? How often do you wash and clean the car seats?
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually only clean them after a car trip. The detachable cushions are the only thing I put in the washer. Other than that, I just kind of dust out the food or use a baby wipe on the seat. My daughter doesn't typically eat or drink in the car unless we are traveling.

PeaceMuch
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
As needed, which has never been that often to be honest. We hardly eat in the car and if we do I make sure it's stuff that isn't messy.
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:20 PM

We don't allow food in the vehicle, so unless something unforseen happens it gets cleaned only when we clean the interior of the vehicle itself.

Find out what's going on in our journey in my pregnancy journal...
from 27 weeks | 28 weeks | ...

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Every few months

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:05 PM
As needed, pretty much.

Make sure when you clean the straps, that you only use a mild soap and water. Never submerge them or get them soaked; just wipe them down. If they have a smell, dry them in the sun.
lizfnf
by Liz on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM
If by clean you vacuum when you wash the car then when I do that. We're in the last stages of booster seat though and she'll be out of that in 6 months. When she was a baby I washed the seat cover every few weeks. By now she should know better than to lick it. Hahahaha
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I don't have car seats.

Bump

countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I wiped them down with a Clorox wipe once a week when I cleaned my car or as needed. The cover I didn't wash unless there was a mess on it. 

mjimaging
by Melissa on Oct. 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Only when the kids get sick in the car. Then it's just the seat cover. The straps can only be wiped down. If they get submerged in the water they need to be replaced.
cocoroo
by on Oct. 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Did you out the straps in the washer? Those will need to be replaced. My kids are all out of car seats. I washed them as needed. By hey rarely ate or drank in the car, so it wasn't that much of an issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)