Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Party nightmare ...

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM
  • 48 Replies

So last year after my DD's birthday party, I had PROMISED myself that it would be the last big party for my DD.  It had cost me a fortune and didn't really go as well as I thought.  I thought I'd do it more low key this year ... I suggested a few options to my daughter and we ended up settling on a birthday at the movies.  A local theater offered a birthday package ; movie, snacks, reserved seating and a private room after for 1 hour to do cake and presents.  $17 a kid was not a horrible price, considering I had nothing to do, nothing to host or entertain, nothing to clean up; all they require is an 8 kid minimum.  Every year DD invites a bunch of people and there's NEVER been a year where everyone comes.  Her school is not close to home and her friends are scattered up to 30-40 miles away I thought  this was an easy way out.

To my horror, DD invited 12 kids and all 12 kids are comming.  I had told her to keep it at 10 max but word gets around in school and DD felt bad + I had no choce but to invite my niece and nephew as well ... here's 2 more kids.  I also have to attend with my husband  Holy crap on a cracker ... not only will I have to supervise and handle 14 kids but this is going to cost me a bloody fortune !  

The only saving grace so far is that I have a movie pass at home that will let my husband and I get in for free and the birthday girl gets in free - still I'm looking at a $200 + bill.  well I guess my daughter will only be 11 once !  Please tell me birthday parties stop at age 12 ????????????

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM

I'd stop doing parties whenever you want.  There are only 2 girls at my DD's school that have had a party every year.  My dd only had a party with friends the year that she turned 5.  $200 isn't that bad.  Most of the party packages around us start at $225+ for 10 kids.  A local bounce place that is popular for parties is $350 for 10 kids.

anotherandree
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I am SO GLAD the party-every-year craze is dying down.  I have 3 kids in school and 2 yrs ago, there was AT LEAST 1 invite per kid per weekend.  It was awful that we had to pick and choose because we just couldn't do it all.  I think other parents were feeling the pinch too because last year there were only a handful and this year we've only had one.

For our family, we do a 1-2 person sleepover with pizza and cake.  The end.  Milestone birthdays (1 and 16) get an actual party but we prefer to keep it low key. 

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I'd stop doing parties whenever you want.  There are only 2 girls at my DD's school that have had a party every year.  My dd only had a party with friends the year that she turned 5.  $200 isn't that bad.  Most of the party packages around us start at $225+ for 10 kids.  A local bounce place that is popular for parties is $350 for 10 kids.

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Next year is the final one and definitely low key, enough already !!!  Thing is all her friends keep having birthday parties she is constantly invited she had 2 in December alone.  Last year is cost me about $350 the year before $260 this year I'm looking at $238 for the kids + another $25 for if I count the DH and I - I still have to make a cake and I have NO CLUE what I'm going to do either.  At first $17 a kid seemed really affordable I aimed for 10 kids and that was fine by me $170 was not bad at all. but Oh well, I made my bed ... now I lie in it !

Quoting lalasmama2007:

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Ugh I'm having a similar issue. We always get a bunch of NOs and haven't gotten a single one for my son's party in 2 weeks. Everyone is coming, I totally didn't expect it!

mjimaging
by Melissa on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:02 PM
I only allow DD (14) to pick a friend or two. We do something nice for a couple instead of something cheap for many. One year she got to go to the zoo. Take two friends and they had a picnic with homemade fruit salad and sandwiches and chips and homemade cupcakes. They then went to the giraffe barn and met, petted and fed the giraffes. DH worked at the zoo. We use our resources to keep costs low. Her friends still talk about it years later. We have Bbq's and picnics. It's fun for the kids and low cost.
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Seriously ?  it's never happened to me before either ... 2 years ago I was short 2 kids ; Party was for 12 :  and we only had 10 kids ; we were left with 1 open spot all along + 1 kid cancelled last minute for the cupcake workshop.  My husband took the spot and started it and then my niece came after her skating practice and took over.  It must be because I'm doing it at the Movie Theater this year !!  A lot of her friends are coming from far away I thought for sure it would be a major deterrant but nope. 

Quoting LuLuRex:

Ugh I'm having a similar issue. We always get a bunch of NOs and haven't gotten a single one for my son's party in 2 weeks. Everyone is coming, I totally didn't expect it!

k8smimi
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:03 PM

$17 per kid isn't bad all things considered.  Be aware of guests bringing siblings or parents wanting to stay for the party.  I got hit with that last year and it added five more people which made my supplies on hand for each guest tight.  Enjoy the party.

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I noticed the extra added people on a party that my dd is going to next week for a girl in her class.  One mom responded that the classmate, her sister and both parents would all be attending the party.  I don't get why people would think that the whole family is invited.  It's so rude, especially when you are paying per person.

Quoting k8smimi:

$17 per kid isn't bad all things considered.  Be aware of guests bringing siblings or parents wanting to stay for the party.  I got hit with that last year and it added five more people which made my supplies on hand for each guest tight.  Enjoy the party.

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I could do something really low cost if DD's birthday was in the middle of the summer.  But in the dead of winter, not so easy.  There is no way I am hosting a party in my house for multiple children, I did the first year I was in my house, my basement was still a large roughly finished play room where the kids totally wreacked havoc but no more.  I have a small 2 bedroom house, my basement is now a TV room, an office and a storage space that are not meant to be play areas.  So I have no choice but to host it outside the home.

Quoting mjimaging: I only allow DD (14) to pick a friend or two. We do something nice for a couple instead of something cheap for many. One year she got to go to the zoo. Take two friends and they had a picnic with homemade fruit salad and sandwiches and chips and homemade cupcakes. They then went to the giraffe barn and met, petted and fed the giraffes. DH worked at the zoo. We use our resources to keep costs low. Her friends still talk about it years later. We have Bbq's and picnics. It's fun for the kids and low cost.

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM
If that happened to me, I would make this year the last big party.Next year maybe just have a slumber party for a few close friends, order pizza, build your own sundaes? And if you wanted to do something special,just make it you, your hubby and her, and let her pick a special thing to do and take her to dinner.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)