Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help. My 5 years old still wears diaper during the night.

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:01 PM
  • 39 Replies

I didn't really think it is a big issue until I went to regular check up for my 5 years old son.

I told doctor that he still wears a diaper during the night, and usually soaking wet, and sometimes pee through the pajamas.

He gave a prescription, but the side affect of that prescription was REALLY bad! (Possible thought of suicide!!!)

Anyway, since that, I am really awear of seriouness of this problem.

I put him a water proof diaper, he still didn't feel it and peed

I set up the alarm middle of the night so he can wake up and pee once during the night.

He did ok for the first couple of days, but he just turn the alarm off and went back to bed. I went in his room and urge to wake him up, but he sleeps like stone.

I tried bed wetting alarm, but of course he wouldn't wake up with that sound.

What else should I do

I am even thinking to give him a nap so that he can stay awake during the night, but i don't know if it is a good idea.

He goes to bed at 7:30-8 and wake up at 7:30 (I usually wake him up)

Does he need more sleep

Anyone have ANY suggestion

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBoyK
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
First I would ask ped for a different medication. Then get the most annoying alarm clock you can find, set it for a few hours after he goes to bed, and put it on the other side of his room from the bed. Set your alarm for the same time and get up and make sure he gets to the bathroom.
mariesmama
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

make him wake up at night to go pee my dad woke up with me

RhineAndShine
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:39 AM
2 moms liked this

My now 10 dd stopped wetting the bed at age 9.  She's a heavy sleeper.  I never medicated her.  It's not unusal for kids to go to age 12 wetting the bed.  I had a nephew that outgrew it at 12.

momofthem311
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
She doesn't need medication at all. My daughter wore goodnights till she was 8 and our son is in them now at almost 7. It's not a big issue, they grow out of it. Only thing I would do is make her go before bed so maybe she doesn't go so much during the night and soak through. It's not a huge issue like people make it seem.
poietes
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
My six year old wets every night. I would talk to a different doctor, I wouldn't trust one that pushes for medication that young.
bklynmama716
by Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:58 AM
My son is 5 1//2 and he's just now getting out of the pull-ups. I'm amazed that I sometimes hear him at 3am waking up to pee! Lol He will grow out if it, don't medicate him! Stop giving all liquids 2 hours before bed and have him pee right before he goes to sleep. Until his bladder is ready to hold the urine there is nothing more you can do.
bklynmama716
by Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM
Oh and the napping during the day is a terrible idea. He needs his full sleep at night to be ready for school in the morning.
Mrs_Boho
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:02 AM
My almost 7 yr old just stopped within the last month, a few dribbles here and there, she had day time accidents till then too.

My toddler will be 3 and is fully day and night trained.

What i did with my oldest was take away her pull ups (cloth ones) told her if you pee on your bed it goes in the trash then you'll have to sleep on the floor.

My toddler gets up to pee and goes back to bed, my middle was jealous, so she finally started to go pee in the night too!

goldpandora
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this

A it isn't uncommon for kids (especially boys) not to be dry at night at that age. This sin't a dramatic situation, it's just that his body isn't ready to be dry all night.

I'd be looking for a different doctor, one who actually listened and who gave good advice rather than doling out meds.

You could try to avoid giving him fluids after a certain time maybe...

Gwyndolyn
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Every kid is different. My kid never peed overnight, since the age of 2 1/2. Some kids wet the bed until they are 9, 10, 11, 12. Sarah Silverman wet the bed until she was an adult! If you do some research, the bed wetting is due to a part of the brain or a chemical in the brain that isn't fully formed yet, so denying liquid before bed isn't the answer. He'll stop wetting the bed when he's ready. Do not medicate and just keep using the diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)