Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I may be THAT mom

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM
  • 21 Replies

Yes, I need to read my emails better.  To be fair, it would be nice if they weren't written in broken English.

I got an email from the school asking for volunteers to organize the dance.  My son had been talking about some dance at school and I didn't get much in the way of details, but no big deal.  I'm a project manager, my son loves to get all dressed up, I thought it would be fantastic.  I emailed the PTA back right away with the response that I'd love to help out.

Then I read the email closer... and I see that it's a father daughter dance.  Frankly, I don't want to plan an event that myself and my son are not welcome to attend.  And honestly I'm getting very annoyed at the PTA because this is NOT the first gender exclusive event they've planned and it excludes about 70% of the student body (not to mention the exclusion based on culture for most of their other events).

Should I push the issue and turn into one of THOSE moms or just back out?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
munky.wench
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:44 PM
I don't think there would be anything wrong with writing back and telling them that you changed your mind. Be honest and tell them that you didn't realize that the dance was strictly father/daughter and tell them that you are not interested in helping in something that neither you nor your son would be allowed to attend.
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM

I would just retract my e-mail explaining that you have a son and could not participate in a father -daughter dance, you therefore take back your participation.  OR offer to plan a mother-son dance on a different date.

lalasmama2007
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I agree with this...

Quoting Jinxed8:

I would just retract my e-mail explaining that you have a son and could not participate in a father -daughter dance, you therefore take back your participation.  OR offer to plan a mother-son dance on a different date.

quickbooksworm
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Thanks, ladies!  I sent my email to them this morning with the offer to help with the planning and haven't heard back.  I'll see what kind of response I get before immediately retracting my offer.  

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:09 PM
I agree.

Quoting munky.wench: I don't think there would be anything wrong with writing back and telling them that you changed your mind. Be honest and tell them that you didn't realize that the dance was strictly father/daughter and tell them that you are not interested in helping in something that neither you nor your son would be allowed to attend.
quickbooksworm
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:21 PM
5 moms liked this

Well guys, I decided to become THAT mom.  There is no Mother/Son event.  This event is actually going to cost money the PTA raised for new computers and library books.  It's a misuse of money.  I didn't donate money and attend overpriced fundraisers so the money could go towards an exclusive event we are not allowed to attend, I donated because the school needs new computers and library books.  This event could actually become a fundraiser if they were to allow other people to attend.  So yeah, I'm going to raise a big stink.  You may see me on the news LOL.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:34 PM
You go girl!

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Well guys, I decided to become THAT mom.  There is no Mother/Son event.  This event is actually going to cost money the PTA raised for new computers and library books.  It's a misuse of money.  I didn't donate money and attend overpriced fundraisers so the money could go towards an exclusive event we are not allowed to attend, I donated because the school needs new computers and library books.  This event could actually become a fundraiser if they were to allow other people to attend.  So yeah, I'm going to raise a big stink.  You may see me on the news LOL.

countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I agree with you. While I do think that more fathers need to be involved, what about the children who have no fathers? Do they not deserve special events too? Why even do the parents at all. Our school does plenty of dances for the kids during the school year. It's a chance for them to all socialize. 

wedding countdown
girlfriendcj70
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 1:35 PM
good for you girl. Definitely raise a big stink. I Always Do When If Comes To money.

uote name="quickbooksworm" id="0"]

[/quote]
lulumomof2
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I understand where you are coming from as they are using funds that were marked for something else on this and that I would have a problem with. Now as for the daddy/daughter dance I don't see anything wrong with it. But they do need to have a mother/son dance as well.

When I was the president of my sons grade school's PTO we did a "donuts with dad" (but on the flyer we stressed that it could be a grand-dad, an uncle, a older brother, what ever older man was in the child's life. Heck I think we had a dad have breakfast with his son and his son's friend) we did that in November then in May we did "Muffins with Mom" (again stressed it didn't have to be a mom, could be a grandma, aunt, sister, whatever). And we had people bitching about it!  It was a free event that was before school. And it was just a nice thank you that the PTO wanted to do. It actually had to end before a certain number of minutes before school started because of some federal rule since our grade school served breakfast. So its not like kids HAD to go in order to eat breakfast at school. 

One of the last years my younger son was in the grade school my dh was out of town for work so my older son sat with him and had breakfast. Really didn't bother him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)