Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Loss.....

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
I was cleaning out the cabinet this morning. Getting rid of outdated school papers, pd bills, ect. and I came across a vanilla envelope that instantly brought me to tears. Almost 6 months ago I lost the only true best friend I ever had. My dog. She was 13 yrs old, she died from complications from heart worms. The vanilla envelope contained her vet papers, I just started crying and feeling so alone. I have never felt true loss and pain until I lost her. She was there right beside me through every milestone in my life. She was there for me when no one else was. I'm not an over emotional person, I don't cry at funerals, a great love story doesn't have me searching for tissues. But the thought of her being gone feels like I have been stabbed in the heart. Even now I fight through tears when someone so much as says her name. I have a wonderful husband who has done his best to help me with my loss but, he doesn't get it. He's never been an animal lover. To him she was just a dog, it's sad she's gone, but that's life. He doesn't understand how much the loss of her still hurts, and I accept that. It's not his fault, he is who he is. I just want to know, how do I get through this? I want to stop grieving her loss and start enjoying the great memories I shared with her. I feel like my life is moving by, and I'm standing sill watching it. I just can't shake the hurt I feel. I have never felt like this before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
by on May. 17, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on May. 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM
Hugs.
It hasn't been been six months, I think it's to soon to "get over" the loss of your best friend.
I'm sorry your husband isn't more supportive.
anotherandree
by on May. 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM
Losing a pet is so incredibly difficult. Many people don't understand or try to minimize it, but it's still a loss. I'm sorry.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on May. 17, 2015 at 4:01 PM
This. Hugs!

Quoting anotherandree: Losing a pet is so incredibly difficult. Many people don't understand or try to minimize it, but it's still a loss. I'm sorry.
countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost a chocolate lab from heartworms a few years back. She was more of my husband's dog so I didn't feel the loss like he did but a few years ago "my" dog got hit by a car after sneaking out of the back door (my DD left it open and we didn't realize she did). He came back in limping and he didn't have any outside symptoms but I guess something was wrong internally because he laid on his pillow and died with all of us sitting by him and petting him. I'd guess it was the best way for him to go:(

I don't have any advice for you but I can offer you my sympathy for your loss. 

offrdngal
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

How do you cope? You cry when you feel like crying, you smile when you feel like smiling and you laugh when you feel like laughing.

No one has the right to put a time limit, on your grief. She wasn't "just a dog", she was your furry, four-legged baby.

When I lost my Moo, in 2011, I was devastated. I grieved for her, for at least a year. Many memories made me just sit down and bawl, like a child. Other memories made me laugh out loud. Four years later, I still have moments. I miss that cat dearly and I always will.
PortlandJane
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I worked at vet offices for 3.5 years.  Loss sucks.  I am one of those people that think pets are family.  My oldest (cat) is 9 and having some health problems, and I am putting my family into credit card debt for him.  He is my first baby.  Saying there's a time limit to loss is a joke. Grief is personal, specifically tailored to you.  It never stops sucking but it does stop being so raw, the jagged edges will be a little softer.  With people having really rough times, I really recommend grief counseling.  You may be someone who benefits from that, and that doesn't make you weak or silly!!!! 

gramma747
by New Member on May. 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM
I'm sorry *hugs*..I lost my faithful sidekick 4 years ago "taffy
I also cried for months,and I don't get emotional very often..I tried to tell myself she was a dog,just trying to make the loss easier.It didn't work..She was my best friend,the one that listened quietly when I talked to myself,she knew what I was thinking always,the one who slept by my bed every night laid on my feet in the morning..She never as far back as I remember did anything wrong..It took 2 years before I was ready to search for another dog companion,now I have a maggie,And she's A pain in my ass,
I honestly think *taffy* sent her as a funny dog joke..but I have grown to love her and it's helped me fill that hole in my heart..
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on May. 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM

((Hugs)) i'm sorry hun it's never easy loosing a pet.  

lalasmama2007
by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:11 PM

I'm sorry for your loss =(

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM

Hugs~ I'm sorry for your loss.

We lost all but one of our pets in a house fire 3 months ago. I miss them very much and still cry for them. They were a huge part of the family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)