Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you read ingredient labels safely?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM
  • 10 Replies

Many of us go to our regular drugstore or grocery store and pick up our regular foods that we love. But, how many of us really turn over that pre-packaged item and actually read the ingredients safely? I use the term safely and not 'correctly' because although they intrinsically are interchangeable your safety might be at risk based on what you think is good for you.

A lot of products on the shelves of a drug store make claims that they will aid in anti-aging, moisturizing etc. But, are you aware that many of these are inexpensive because of the fillers that are used? Did you also know that many of these fillers come from animal by-products, which are skimmed off the top of the vat that they boil roadkill in and sold for pennies to help keep costs low for the consumer. 

I bring all of this up because many people are unaware of just how vulnerable they are making themselves to contracting life threatening diseases.

For instance Parabens are a preservative which in small amounts are not in and of themselves harmful, however, they have been known to not be processed well by the body and are therefore stored. Prolonged exposure and clustering of parabens in the body have been found in many cancer patients.

Long story short, please read labels and educate yourself on what is safe and what is not. Some of the leading baby products have parabens in them and other harmful ingredients...do you really want to keep putting that on your baby?

I am an Independent Consultant for Arbonne and ALL of our products are certified vegan, are paraben, petroleum and carcinogen free. The nutrition line is free of lactose, gluten and banned substances so it is totally safe for professional and amateur athletes alike to use to help their bodies cope with the riggers of their pursuits. 

It is Breast Cancer month this month and I just want to raise awareness that even the products that have a pink ribbon on them are not necessarily free of harmful ingredients. Stay Safe!!

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mishy2
by Michelle on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

To be honest I don't read the labels that closely.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Neither do I with the exception of looking at food labels for gluten since DH has celiac disease. I also have to look at sugar and carb content because he is diabetic as well.

Quoting Mishy2:

To be honest I don't read the labels that closely.

mewebb82
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to look at food labels closely because of my youngest's allergies.....milk protein, soy, and eggs. I'm also very careful about not using anything with any animal byproducts, but after so many years of looking I can generally just avoid certain brands.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
No I don't.
Alesha01
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I have started reading labels more closely.
Adams-Rib
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a label reader :) I also know what products we use because I make them and we raise our own food.
my_boys2007
by Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM
No, I dont.I read them when I'm being unsafe.I really should stop that.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 9, 2015 at 12:26 PM
I do for everything DS consumes he has food allergies
WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 4:55 PM

I do read the labels mostly for sugar/carb content. 

BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Quoting Alesha01: I have started reading labels more closely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)