Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids in braces...

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM
  • 26 Replies

About to take my oldest, 8, to her first orthodontist consult.

So what should I emotionally prepare for? About $10K?

(I am so not ready for this to start right now. Forget about crying on Kindergarten graduation. I'm going to cry that my baby is ready for braces...) 

Claire Wait

Secret shoppers needed! Nationwide locations. Many phone call only shops. PM me for more info.

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:57 PM
Hugs
countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM

I'd imagine closer to $3,500 - $5,000. Depending on your insurance, your first payment may be about half of your total, then you pay the rest in installments based upon how long they think the braces may be on. 

PeaceMuch
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:53 PM
I was told about $5000
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Not sure what you can expect - but I totally get you on the crying thing.

Alesha01
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:47 PM
My daughter is going to need braces soon too.
lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Bump!

ReadWriteLuv
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:41 PM

I don't get the crying thing.....other than being depressed about the financial burden.

I'm about to put my 12 year old in braces, her appt is next week. Better to get it over with now so that her teeth are nice in high school. I want her to be confident in her smile as an adult. In January I'm getting braces for myself, and was quoted $4500 total for about 18 months of wear. That amount includes absolutely everything, all hardware, check ups, fittings and the retainer. 

oliveoyl214
by Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 2:17 AM

My dd's braces cost me $4,100 (she's 12)

Simple-Beauty
by Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 1:28 PM

My DD got braces at 8, and we only paid $1200 out of pocket. She actually just got them off last week and her teeth are beautiful, although, we knew when we started that she'll get another set of braces at 12. The first set was for bite correction, and she only wore them for 13 months.

clairewait
by on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't get the crying thing.....other than being depressed about the financial burden.

No, you pretty much nailed it. That's it. 

Before we got married I told my (now) husband 3 things:

1. I want to have 4 kids.
2. If possible, I really want to be able to pay for our kids to go to college so they don't have to start their adult lives in debt.
3. However, if any/all of our kids have MY mouth, we need to have a braces fund first, because we're not sending them to college with crooked teeth!

I wholeheartedly agree with you. My smile was for a long time a major source of insecurity and since my 4 years in braces (as a kid) has been one of my best features. 

Claire Wait

Secret shoppers needed! Nationwide locations. Many phone call only shops. PM me for more info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)