Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adults in braces

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:06 PM
  • 25 Replies
A spinoff of the kids in braces post.

If you have had braces as an adult I am curious as to why. Could your parents not afford them when you were younger? Did you not go to the dentist as a child? Did you not find out until you were an adult that you needed braces?
Why would an adult want or need braces?
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally didn't have any but a friend of mine, as an adult decided to get them, she got invisiline braces though.  She got them because her teeth were slightly crooked and she wanted a nicer smile

countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I had them as a child. I need them again as an adult but I can't afford them at this time. 

In my family, most of us inherited a bug gap in between our two top front teeth. I hated it when I was younger and begged my mom to get it fixed. I got braces and in the process discovered that I had an overbite and had to have more than the gap corrected. My orthodontist ordered my retainer the day I got my braces off and by the time my retainers came in my teeth had already shifted somewhat and the retainers didn't fit. Or, he said they did but they were super uncomfortable so I never wore them. 

I think he just said they fit how they were supposed to so that my mom didn't go off on him (she's not a very nice person) but after talking to friends and stuff, I knew my palate piece wasnt' supposed to be bending the way it was. It was miserable to wear so I just stopped. 

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:08 PM
I've always wanted braces, as a child and adult? Why? Because my teeth are too large for my jaw, thanks genetics, and as a result they are over crowded to an extreme. It's resulted in migraines and my teeth being basically sanded down by one another, so I can shut my mouth. We've always known, but never been able to afford braces. They are incredibly expensive, and supplemental health care covers only a few thousand dollars per year when they actual cost is closer to a grand a month. That's assuming you're a child. Of you're an adult you get zero!
Megs_Mom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:25 PM

I have not had braces, but I need them.  My parents didn't take me to the dentist as a child.  Ever.  They also didn't teach me to brush my teeth.  This sounds stupid, but I had no idea how important teeth brushing was until I was much older and too much damage had already been done. They were pretty neglectful when it came to my medical care.  I have a lot of problems now because of it. And yeah,I'm pretty darn bitter about it.  I look at my daughter and can't imagine not taking care of her.  I have severe scoliosis that has always caused me pain.  I can't imagine seeing my dd in pain and not doing anything about it. 

And believe it or not, picking up the habit of teeth brushing is really hard to do.  It's like starting any good habit.  It takes lots of time for it to stick.  Think of it like trying to stick to a diet.  It's hard. 

I've had a little dental work as an adult, but I need tons more.  Part of it is a crippling fear of the dentist since I have such little experience with them. And part of it is financial.  I need so much, it will be so, so expensive.  I have other medical issues that are more pressing that I need to take care of. And there's also the fear of being judged. 

My sister grew up like I did but has much better teeth.  She was just lucky.  And she's had dentists berate her and judge her for it. Her teeth are way better than mine, so I'm afraid of what will be said to me.

My parents also didn't teach me to swim or to drive.  Or even to take a bath every day.  They were very bad at being parents.  My mom was very clear that she had never wanted kids.  We have a good relationship now, but it isn't a mother/daughter relationship.  Not at all.  I don't know how to explain it.  We're like good acquaintances, maybe. 

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:19 PM
Hugs! That's so sad!
Your family members never tried to step in and help?
Didn't your grandparents/aunts/uncles notice your teeth, and you and your sister being neglected? They didn't do anything?

If my kids were not being taken care of my in-laws would call CPS. My family members would step in and help my children in whatever way they could. Yes, two very different responses.... it's just my opinion, it will never happen of course.

If your family members helped, showed you proper hygiene and everything your parents didn't teach you things would have turned out differently for you.

Quoting Megs_Mom1:

I have not had braces, but I need them.  My parents didn't take me to the dentist as a child.  Ever.  They also didn't teach me to brush my teeth.  This sounds stupid, but I had no idea how important teeth brushing was until I was much older and too much damage had already been done. They were pretty neglectful when it came to my medical care.  I have a lot of problems now because of it. And yeah,I'm pretty darn bitter about it.  I look at my daughter and can't imagine not taking care of her.  I have severe scoliosis that has always caused me pain.  I can't imagine seeing my dd in pain and not doing anything about it. 

And believe it or not, picking up the habit of teeth brushing is really hard to do.  It's like starting any good habit.  It takes lots of time for it to stick.  Think of it like trying to stick to a diet.  It's hard. 

I've had a little dental work as an adult, but I need tons more.  Part of it is a crippling fear of the dentist since I have such little experience with them. And part of it is financial.  I need so much, it will be so, so expensive.  I have other medical issues that are more pressing that I need to take care of. And there's also the fear of being judged. 

My sister grew up like I did but has much better teeth.  She was just lucky.  And she's had dentists berate her and judge her for it. Her teeth are way better than mine, so I'm afraid of what will be said to me.

My parents also didn't teach me to swim or to drive.  Or even to take a bath every day.  They were very bad at being parents.  My mom was very clear that she had never wanted kids.  We have a good relationship now, but it isn't a mother/daughter relationship.  Not at all.  I don't know how to explain it.  We're like good acquaintances, maybe. 

Megs_Mom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Nope.  My family is small to begin with.  My mom is an only child, so no aunts, uncles, or cousins on her side.  My dad has one brother who is married but never had children.  He was in the military and always traveling.  I barely know him.  We didn't live near my grandparents, but they weren't any better.  My mom's parents were not very nurturing at all.  She never had a good relationship with her mom, especially.  My mom also has bad teeth.  I don't know if her parents didn't take care of them or if that was all from her own neglect.  I've never asked. 

My parents divorced when I was 12 or so - right around the time I was diagnosed with scoliosis.  My dad moved 4 hours away and I rarely saw him.  I remember writing him a letter once, asking for help with my back.  He never replied. 

I found out after I was an adult, that my high school best friend's mom wanted to step in and help, but didn't feel like it was her place.  I wish I'd known at the time, I would have approached her about it.  People seemed to blame *me* for my bad back.  My PE teacher was always pestering me, "why haven't you done anything?" And kids I went to school with phrased it the same way.  "What's wrong with your back?  Why don't you do anything?"  I was 12. I don't know what they expected me to do.  But I guess it never occurred to them that my parents didn't care. 

My scoliosis progressed to 100 degrees, which is just absurd.  It's rated "severe" at 40 degrees.  I eventually did have surgery on it as an adult, but I have problems with the hardware they put in and now have chronic pain.  I had one doctor tell me that if I hadn't the surgery, I'd have ended up in a wheelchair by now.  My own spine was slowly trying to killing me.  It was such a bad curve, it was going to keep progressing and eventually put so much pressure on my heart and lungs until they couldn't work anymore. 

I was born with a birth defect called CDH.  Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia.  It's fatal 50% of the time.  It boggles my mind that they did what they had to do to save me, but after that were like, "Meh." 

But - on a brighter note - I think it's made me a much, much better mom.  My daughter was diagnosed with mild scoliosis and you better believe I was all over that crap.  She got the physical therapy she needed and her curve never progressed past 13 degrees and causes her no pain at all.  And she has gorgeous teeth!  :)

Thanks for the hugs.  I'm sorry I rambled on so.  But it feels good to get that out there, you know?  Kind of theraputic.  I usually try not to let it get to me, but asking about braces struck a nerve, apparently, lol. 

Quoting diaperstodating: Hugs! That's so sad! Your family members never tried to step in and help? Didn't your grandparents/aunts/uncles notice your teeth, and you and your sister being neglected? They didn't do anything? If my kids were not being taken care of my in-laws would call CPS. My family members would step in and help my children in whatever way they could. Yes, two very different responses.... it's just my opinion, it will never happen of course. If your family members helped, showed you proper hygiene and everything your parents didn't teach you things would have turned out differently for you.
Quoting Megs_Mom1:

Trini
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 4:50 PM
My dh had them as an adult because he had a major gap. He also found out he had bone loss from gum disease. The bone loss caused his gap to become bigger,so after having a bone graft he got braces to pull his teeth back in place.
PeppermintyTea
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:34 PM
I had braces twice. I had two congenital missing second teeth, and when I got my braces as a kid I still had my first teeth there. They were not proper size to fit with my second teeth so I had them pulled, and wore a partial. That was an annoying temporary solution so when I was ready to get dental implants I needed to have braces again to properly straighten my teeth to make space for them.
stormie1985
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I had this. And i had braces too late in life. We had to drive 2 hours to the nearest orthodontist so I didn't get braces until my jaws had already fully formed (didn't know). I had them from age 14 to 18 then from 19 to 26 with double jaw surgery then. Pics: My face before and then right after surgery just to show how bad it was. Braces alone would not fix my issue.

Quoting MamaBearEH: I've always wanted braces, as a child and adult? Why? Because my teeth are too large for my jaw, thanks genetics, and as a result they are over crowded to an extreme. It's resulted in migraines and my teeth being basically sanded down by one another, so I can shut my mouth. We've always known, but never been able to afford braces. They are incredibly expensive, and supplemental health care covers only a few thousand dollars per year when they actual cost is closer to a grand a month. That's assuming you're a child. Of you're an adult you get zero!
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow what a difference!

Quoting stormie1985:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I had this. And i had braces too late in life. We had to drive 2 hours to the nearest orthodontist so I didn't get braces until my jaws had already fully formed (didn't know). I had them from age 14 to 18 then from 19 to 26 with double jaw surgery then. Pics: My face before and then right after surgery just to show how bad it was. Braces alone would not fix my issue.

Quoting MamaBearEH: I've always wanted braces, as a child and adult? Why? Because my teeth are too large for my jaw, thanks genetics, and as a result they are over crowded to an extreme. It's resulted in migraines and my teeth being basically sanded down by one another, so I can shut my mouth. We've always known, but never been able to afford braces. They are incredibly expensive, and supplemental health care covers only a few thousand dollars per year when they actual cost is closer to a grand a month. That's assuming you're a child. Of you're an adult you get zero!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)