Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and their grades how do you handle it

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
My oldest son is 15 and has disabilities that affect his school work. We work with him at home every night and his grades are improving.

My oldest daughter is 13 and a straight A student. If her grades drop she stays after school. She asks for extra credit to bring them up. She does this all on her own.

My 11 year old son is having trouble in 6th grade. He is in resource to help with his reading and math. His grades stay at about a b average. He does have 1 c which we are working on.

My 10 year old daughter is in 4th grade. She is averaging A-B.

I work with my kids and they do lose friend time and tv time. I will sit down with them and we will make a list of goals. So we can better understand where they need the help the most.

I know parents who are so strict that their kids are afraid to give them their report cards.

How do you handle your kids grades.
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sophie1106
by Paula on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:28 PM
My oldest is 9 and in 4th grade. So far she's gotten mostly A's and a couple B's. She's a good student, just unorganized and forgetful sometimes. She's left her homework at school a few times. She now loses tv and video games if she doesn't bring it home and can't do it. I'm not sure what I would do if she got bad grades. My youngest is in kindergarten so we don't deal with grades yet for him.
tiredmomfor2
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:39 PM
We homeschool. We do not give out grades/report cards.
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM
My daughter has good grades. She can't hide anything from me I can view all of her grades and assignments online.
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Jan. 24, 2016 at 3:38 PM
That's what we do here to.

Quoting Briesmom38: My daughter has good grades. She can't hide anything from me I can view all of her grades and assignments online.
clairewait
by on Jan. 24, 2016 at 5:10 PM

My oldest is only a 3rd grader so, so far, we just praise them for everything and generally try not to worry about grades, per se. I'm more of the mindset that if they are doing their best, I don't care.

That said, my husband and I are both former HS teachers. We know what kind of slacking off is normal and probably status quo at this point in public school. Depending on where our kids are at that point (public vs. private, both are options) we definitely plan to make success a big deal. This doesn't mean paying for A's or punishing for C's though.

One thing we both have thought of is that if they keep high grades and get a scholarship to college as a result of their GPA's (and maybe combined factors) we'll buy them a car for graduation that is within the price range of the scholarship they achieve. (I mean, within reason. If they get a scholarship for only $5K, they don't get a 19K car... but if they get a full ride, I'm not sure we'd get them a porshe or something either, hah!)

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jan. 24, 2016 at 5:45 PM
DS is too young to get letter grades yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)