Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Happy with Hubby

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:45 PM
  • 13 Replies

We have been talking for the past few monhths about getting my 10 (almost 11 in May) daughter a phone. I said No she has one she can use when she is at home on Wi-Fi only but does not have a phone number. Plus my son did not get his until he was almost 12. Well before we got her a house key we found out my MIL was late one day getting to the house and Lexi was left sitting outside on the porch. Thank goodness it was when it was still warm and since their was no one waiting for her at the corner the bus driver took her directly to the house. The bus driver did sit at the house with her (with 3 other kids on board) for an extra 10 min until my MIL showed up. That is the one and only time it has happened.  In the last 2 months my daughter now has a "boyfriend" who calls her almost every night on either my phone or her fathers phone and same with a couple of her other friends, which can get annoying when either of us need our phones. We also do have a house phone and I told him to let her give out that number to use. He refuses. Well we all just got our phones switched about a month ago and found out somehow my daughters phone has a number attached to it. Hubby wants to let her use it since we are now paying the extra $10 for the number on the Family plan but I told him we should get rid of it until later.

Guess who is now getting a cell phone for Easter :(  I really want it to wait until next Christmas so she will be close to 12 like my son was and to keep it fair. UGH!!!

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kyledavidsmom
by Tara on Mar. 12, 2016 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a tough one

My older 2 had cellphones at the age of 10. But it was a cheap prepaid minute phone. They were bday gifts form a family member. It wasn't until my daughter was 13 she got a little nicer phone. My son will be 16 in June and don't really care for a phone. But my husband won't do fancy iPhones or fancy phones period. In my daughters 4th grade class she is the only one without a phone. Them kids have nicer phones than me and my husband lol.
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Mar. 12, 2016 at 10:22 AM
My DD has had a phone since she was 7, I think. Partially because she has two households she stays in and I wanted her to be able to contact me at any time when she was at her dad's.
musicNcaffeine
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 10:48 AM
It sounds fair. Your son had different needs, so you were able to delay him. Your dh is strange in his thinking, but I don't think he's completely wrong.
midjet117
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:53 PM

We have a rule in my house, NO BOYFRIENDS UNTIL 17 OR 18! My daughters are 10 1/2. We have a straightalk home phone for them because my daughter maddy was using my phone too much and I didn't like it. They have phones which are for game apps only, they are prepaid that dont have service linked to them. Truthfully, I would hold off if it were me. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Mar. 12, 2016 at 2:21 PM
Bump
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

So touchy, because each child & family is different.  Go with what suits your values.  If you and your husband aren't in agreement, won't that complicate the situation?

MixedCooke
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
She can have a boyfriend now but has to wait until 12 to have a phone? Ummmm I think your priorities are a bit mixed.
carakitty
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:10 AM

I think it's a touchy situation too. Every family and kid is different. DH and I won't be getting a DD a phone right now and she's 11. She simply doesn't have a need for one, nor is she showing that she would be responsible with one if she did have one. She's getting a little better but when she does get one it's not going to be fancy by any means and will have strict limitations on what can be done with it. I told DH if she were to get involved in after school activities like sports or clubs that I would be willing to consider getting her a phone before we originally planned but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Good luck with your desicion and getting on the same page with your DH.

Nikidu
by Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

DD is 12  a social butterfly,  in a few extracurriculars AND she walks home. She has a phone out of  necessity. DS will probably get one around 12ish as well.

Sophie1106
by Paula on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM
My dd is 9. I know plenty of kids her age have phones already but I'm waiting until she's older or needs one out of necessity. Right now I pick her up from school and I stay with her at her practices and activities. But in the fall ds will be starting in the soccer league and their practices might overlap so I may have to leave her at practices. If that happens I'll get her a phone in case we need to reach each other. But it would be out of necessity. I'm surprised your dh wants to give her a phone so she can talk to a boyfriend. My dh would flip if she even had a boyfriend at that age, let alone give her a phone to talk to him! Lol. I think you were right in wanting to wait. But it's hard, these days so many kids are getting phones at such young ages.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)