• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your kids & the news- how do you handle when there are terror attacks?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM
  • 6 Replies

I woke up this morning and saw on my phone the news of the terror attacks in Brussels. My kids are 7 and 4 so I didn't put the news on. It would all go over my 4 year olds head but my 7 year old would very much watch and get scared. I shielded him from the Paris attacks as well. I don't know what the right thing to do is. How old do you think kids should be when they slowly get exposed to news like this? 

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:59 AM

I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer to this, honestly. I have no idea how they would react. We rarely watch the news. 

Either way my kids aren't big reactors. They see things and just go on about their day for the most part. 

WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I am honestly not sure. My daughter is three, so she doesn't really understand the news information either. In the future, I would try my best to explain it to her in an age appropriate manner. 

princessmom2005
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM
My 10.5 year old was reading a book one time and it briefly mentioned 9/11 so I explained about what happened that day. It went over her head. I don't watch the news ever so I didn't have knowledge of what happened in Paris until people started posting prayer requests and the French flag on Facebook and I didn't know what happened in Brussels until today. As far as I know, my daughter has no idea what terrorists or terrorist attacks are unless her 5th grade class has talked about 9/11.
BOOGIETHEBOOG
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM

Our kids watch news everyday.  Its been like that since they were born.  I dont think that nothing suprises them anymore.  They are 13 years old, 

faeryfrog
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM
We don't watch the news with the kids but we do talk to them about that stuff when it happens, I think it's important, but needs to be told in words and ways that they can understand
lalasmama2007
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM

I don't normally watch the news until my dd is in bed for the night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)