Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression.. Do you hide it from your spouse?

Posted by on May. 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM
  • 9 Replies
You have a spouse that does not believe in depression or medication. They feel the solution is a therapist only and against medication, but you've been diagnosed with severe depression and feel you should take the medication. Do you take the medication and hide it from your spouse or take their advice and don't take medication?
by on May. 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
liveforever
by on May. 30, 2016 at 6:54 PM
I'd take the advice of medical professionals over a spouse that doesn't "believe" in depression. Id take the medication and not hide it. Therapy can help, but that alone isn't always the answer.
vegaswife2011
by New Member on May. 30, 2016 at 6:54 PM
Hugs mama. My husband doesn't get it, not at all. I'm bipolar, OCD, anxiety...it sucks. I'm here if you ever want to talk. My 2 cents though, take your meds if they work. Doesn't matter if he knows or not. Good luck to you.
wine-thirty
by Member on May. 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM
I wear my emotions in my sleeve. I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Furthermore, he could kiss my ass with his non beliefs. If I need it I take it.
TonyasLosingIt
by Member on May. 30, 2016 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I would be openly taking the medications, but (because he thinks therapy is the answer) I would also have a therapist tell him that the medications assist in you getting better. I would also see a therapist that you feel comfortable with. As a person who has suffered from depression on and off (and come from a long line of those with similar issues), I've always felt a two-fold approach is more effective.  

kyledavidsmom
by Tara on May. 31, 2016 at 12:10 AM
I agree

Quoting liveforever: I'd take the advice of medical professionals over a spouse that doesn't "believe" in depression. Id take the medication and not hide it. Therapy can help, but that alone isn't always the answer.
Pukalani79
by Ivy on May. 31, 2016 at 1:50 AM
I would take the meds
ChildOfTheLight
by Member on May. 31, 2016 at 10:57 AM
After seeing the suffering I went through while I was unmedicated and struggling to deal through natural means, for a year, my husband became supportive of me taking the meds. And after a couple short months I seem like normal again. He saw a dramatic difference and had to admit that it was necessary.
countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2016 at 11:07 AM

This. I'm sorry he doesn't understand your struggles:/

Quoting TonyasLosingIt:

I would be openly taking the medications, but (because he thinks therapy is the answer) I would also have a therapist tell him that the medications assist in you getting better. I would also see a therapist that you feel comfortable with. As a person who has suffered from depression on and off (and come from a long line of those with similar issues), I've always felt a two-fold approach is more effective.  

Firewoman33
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2016 at 11:16 AM
I'd take it.

I do hide the degree of my depression and anxiety from my DH. He's kind of the opposite of your DH, he thinks therapists are a joke and medication is all you need to correct the chemical imbalance.

I do what I need to for my health. In his defense, he doesn't ever object to whatever I chose to do. He just voices his opinion, repeatedly. *Rolls eyes*

Just a personal tidbit. I started anti depressants about 4 yrs ago. I wish I could go back in time and start them years earlier. Really had a positive impact for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)