Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is just nuts

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

I need to bitch about my job for a minute. Yes, I'm looking for another one but don't hope to find one until after the first of the year.

3 years ago I was hired to take on a ton of responsibility. I've worked as an accountant and business start up  consultant in the construction industry for about 10 years total. I'm good at what I do. I took this job to cross over from accounting to project management and to make some contacts at a major corporation. My boss had another job at the time so he wasn't as active IN the company he started. This is the first year his entire focus has been just on his business. And I'm going absolutely bonkers.

I've gone from having several conference calls a week with a major corporation and its vendors and visiting job sites to being stuck in my office full time by myself with no contact with the outside world. Additionally, I've increased my driving to now... 3 full hours a day... because the office moved so I've had to cut my hours back. Every single thing I do is micromanaged to death and my boss is super indecisive about every single thing. Part of what I was hired to do is implement policies that make the company run more smoothly, but I can't do that because half the employees whine about having to be accountable for their own stuff and the boss wants to micromanage everything. I literally cannot even buy printer ink without it turning into a major discussion. I purchase upwards of $50k of materials for a job site and it turns into a huge thing if I bought 5 extra cable jacks for the installer because they sometimes break.

Now, the latest thing is mid Q4 my boss wants to change the pay periods so he won't sign my paycheck. My paycheck is 2 weeks late, my checks are already a month arreared, so I'm trying to get paid for the second half of September. I have a savings account for my son's braces that I now need to raid just to pay my rent and I'm charging groceries to my credit card (which I normally do for the points but I haven't paid it off in full so I'm paying interest on my freaking spaghetti sauce).

Gah, I'm losing my mind!

by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mennonitemom2
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:06 PM
We have a saying... "Rous,bevor es zu spät ist". Roughly...get out before it's too late. If you are fighting to get paid? Then you are basically not having a job. Maybe find one fast until you find a good one. Fast nickel beats slow dime.
quickbooksworm
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:10 PM

I can't really afford to just quit my job for something that will be gone next month. I know that if nothing else my boss will want to empty his operating account before the end of the year for tax purposes so all my checks will be caught up along with my bonus. The only jobs open right now are in call centers or retail stores, that are minimum wage which won't cover my basic living expenses. I'm not married so my income is it. I'm getting irritated enough to complain to the DOL though.

Quoting Mennonitemom2: We have a saying... "Rous,bevor es zu spät ist". Roughly...get out before it's too late. If you are fighting to get paid? Then you are basically not having a job. Maybe find one fast until you find a good one. Fast nickel beats slow dime.

ElectricSoul
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Lol, sounds like my last duty station, but since I was military, I got paid.

))hugs(( looks like it's time to move on. Best of luck!

Mennonitemom2
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 4:36 PM
I am sorry it is so stressful on you. It's hard when the weight sets so heavily on your shoulders. I send my prayers and thoughts to you as you strengthen yourself. You are a strong woman, you will make it.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I can't really afford to just quit my job for something that will be gone next month. I know that if nothing else my boss will want to empty his operating account before the end of the year for tax purposes so all my checks will be caught up along with my bonus. The only jobs open right now are in call centers or retail stores, that are minimum wage which won't cover my basic living expenses. I'm not married so my income is it. I'm getting irritated enough to complain to the DOL though.

Quoting Mennonitemom2: We have a saying... "Rous,bevor es zu spät ist". Roughly...get out before it's too late. If you are fighting to get paid? Then you are basically not having a job. Maybe find one fast until you find a good one. Fast nickel beats slow dime.

FlitGirl
by Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 7:18 PM

You have a horrible situation at work, but I'm sure you can do it. Think that you become some experience and can change this job to other after some time.

Element5
by Member on Nov. 2, 2016 at 10:00 AM
That's just ridiculous!

So sorry you are going through this.. I have no advice whatsoever.. but been in your shoes.. worked as a bilker everything was run smoothly till bosses stay at home wife decided to " help out" aka empty nester that needed a hobby!
She reduced our lunch by 1/2 hour so in a 9 hour day we get 1/2 an hour lunch.. then tried to take our 10 day ( 7 days paid holidays and 3 sick days) away!

We fought that one!!! Beyond annoying!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)