Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter chews her fingers!! Help!!

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:15 PM
  • 2 Replies

Mobile Photo

My daughter is 10 and has an absolutely horrible habit of chewing her fingers. Im not talking about her nails. Im talking about straight up chewing the skin around her fingers and fingertips. I attached a picture of her right thumb. This is an example of how she chews on her fingers. Her left thumb is so bad that she has chewed the skin around her thumb off and has a band aid on it. She does well at school and doesnt really get in trouble. I dont think its a stress related thing because she does it all the time, especially when shes reading & she reads ALOT. It's just an awful habit & Im at a loss on how to get her to stop. I want to throw out that she loves to paint her nails and Ive tried both punishing her from allowing her to have her nails painted and rewarding her with special manicures when she doesnt chew her fingers, but it doesnt work. Anyone have this happen and have any ideas on ways we can try to nip the finger chewing?
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bncholbert
by New Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 6:16 PM
And i just realized that the image doesnt give a good idea of how bad her finger looks. I'll try to upload another one
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM
It just sounds like it's a habit she doesn't realize she's doing. Have you tried to have her maybe chew gum or have a lollipop in her mouth when she reads. Anything else for her to chew or have in her mouth might be a good idea.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)