Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

overkill or reasonable ?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM
  • 24 Replies

Here's my dilemma ; DD is turning 13 this year.  Every year in lieu of a present, I throw her a big birthday party.  Name it, we've done it.  (build a bear, cooking school, dance party at a restaurant, arts and craft party @ Michael's, bowling party, movie theater)  I do not host the parties at my house because #1 we have a small home / don't have the room. I usually use the same venue to have family over for cake and presents at the same time.

This year I told DD we're doing a scaled down version - her wish is to have a good old fashioned slumber party.  Crap is I don't have the room for 3 or 4 girls to sleep over and her birthday is in January (crappy cold weather) I had an idea of renting 2 adjacent hotel rooms ; 1 for DD and 2-3 of her friends, and DH & I in the adjacent room with a communicating door.   Upon check in at 3pm - welcome the friends, 4pm welcome the family do the cake and presents, then ship the girls to the pool, after which they can have their slumber party, movie, pizza and popcorn and call it a night.  The next morning, the hotel provides breakfast, if there is time, they can go back to the pool, ask parents to pick up by check out time.

My co-worker thought it was insane but I figure, she gets her slumber party, it's a night away from home for us as well.... 2 birds, one stone, Bday, slumber party, family gathering, activity and food included, no clean up.  What say you ?

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:35 PM

I'd be all for something like that. A night away, no clean up for you, plus your daughter still gets what she wants? I fail to see the issue. 

As hot as it gets in Louisiana, it's common for a person (or people pitch in) to rent a room at a hotel on any random day just for use of the pool, lol. 

anotherandree
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't let my daughter stay in a hotel for a slumber party. I am very liberal but that's just not something I'd be comfortable with.
Angel89411
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM
My best friend in high school did this. Her mom was in an adjacent room. We had a blast.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Here's my dilemma ; DD is turning 13 this year.  Every year in lieu of a present, I throw her a big birthday party.  Name it, we've done it.  (build a bear, cooking school, dance party at a restaurant, arts and craft party @ Michael's, bowling party, movie theater)  I do not host the parties at my house because #1 we have a small home / don't have the room. I usually use the same venue to have family over for cake and presents at the same time.

This year I told DD we're doing a scaled down version - her wish is to have a good old fashioned slumber party.  Crap is I don't have the room for 3 or 4 girls to sleep over and her birthday is in January (crappy cold weather) I had an idea of renting 2 adjacent hotel rooms ; 1 for DD and 2-3 of her friends, and DH & I in the adjacent room with a communicating door.   Upon check in at 3pm - welcome the friends, 4pm welcome the family do the cake and presents, then ship the girls to the pool, after which they can have their slumber party, movie, pizza and popcorn and call it a night.  The next morning, the hotel provides breakfast, if there is time, they can go back to the pool, ask parents to pick up by check out time.

My co-worker thought it was insane but I figure, she gets her slumber party, it's a night away from home for us as well.... 2 birds, one stone, Bday, slumber party, family gathering, activity and food included, no clean up.  What say you ?

HaloSue
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM
My granddaughter did that in Reno they had a blast.

Even if you live in a small apartment or house the kids don't care. They will sleep in sleeping bags on living room floor or your Daughter's bedroom. Why waste the hotel Money??
mama_danetta
by Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:50 PM
It's a good idea.
coala
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM

I think it sounds like fun!!

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:09 PM

Why not?  I can see wanting to do that even if you had room for the kids.  Not everyone likes having other people's kids in their home.  

I don't see any problem with it.  I think it's a good idea. 

LaughinTattoo7
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:10 PM

I think its a great idea

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:11 PM
Sounds good but when I was in high school we crammed 10 of us in a 600 sq foot Cabin so I wouldn't stress about not having space.
K3412
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds great! I had the exact same thing for my 13th birthday party.... a long time ago. They will love it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)