Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little disappointed

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

My middle son is 18 and will be done with high school in a week.  He really wants to join the Air Force.  He went to take his ASVAB and MEPS a week or so ago and got disqualified because of possible scholeosis.  At least at my son's description it sounded like that.  We are all a little disappointed as he really wanted to serve.  However, since he doesn't have any pain, he signed a paper saying this is what he really wants and that got sent to the Surgeon General for him to decide.  We now have to wait 45 days for his answer.  My husband's cousin is a recruiter for the AF and says they have people with scholeosis.  We are praying that it goes the way we want and if not, we'll have to find an alternative.  I will be taking him to the doctor to get an official diagnosis.

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 1:21 PM

December is early do be done with his school year isn't it ???

Well if this is what you guys want for him, I hope he gets in !  

Megs_Mom1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you mean scoliosis?  I have that.  Mine is severe and causes all kinds of pain, but I know a lot of people can live with it and never even know it.  Mine is just unusually bad and was caused by another defect I have.  

It probably needs to at least be monitored because if it's progressing, it can cause some damage.  That's what mine was doing and I had to have surgery to stop it.  But again, cases like mine are pretty unusual.  Lucky me.  :p   For him to not be diagnosed until 18, that souns like it's not bad at all.  It's usually found when you hit puberty.   

My dd had it and was able to keep it in check with physical therapy.  She doesn't have any pain from it.  It hasn't progressed at all in a few years, so she's most likely in the clear.  

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:06 PM
He should have a physical exam done by his doctor.
Cenedra64
by on Dec. 14, 2016 at 11:33 AM

He can probably get a waver.  Good luck to him :)

soymujer
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2016 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

He's a senior and graduates mid term.

Quoting Jinxed8:

December is early do be done with his school year isn't it ???

Well if this is what you guys want for him, I hope he gets in !  

princessmom2005
by on Dec. 14, 2016 at 3:49 PM
Good luck to your son! I think it's great that he wants to serve if he's able to.
jen.jenmille
by on Dec. 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Sounds familiar.  My 17 yr old son just recently went to join the AF also.  He passed the ASVAB but didn't take the physical at MEPS, b/c he changed his mind after realizing that he could get sent overseas.  My husband was an Army recruiter and yes, you are right that they often get people with medical problems into the military.  I don't know if you believe in Christ, but I do.  My faith has certainly helped me with parenting.  However, with my son I learned that I needed to let go of controlling his future.  He is in God's hands and there's no better place to be!  By letting go and praying for wisdom in our children's lives,  we experience freedom and peace.  God's will will never take them where His grace will not protect them.  Sure, my son is still in high school and works at a grocery store.  Things could be a lot worse:)  I know when the time is right, God will reveal to both of our young men what He wants them to do.  For a great article written for the teen's point of view:http://bit.ly/2huxyVe
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)