Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All schools should be ran military style

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 3:29 AM
  • 15 Replies
I think so 😲
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 3:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
princessmom2005
by on Mar. 19, 2017 at 7:41 AM
It probably wouldn't hurt for the middle schoolers and high schoolers (for the most part) in our district. For the most part, they're obnoxious, disrespectful little turds I'd like to slap silly. I hate the idea of my daughter having to be in the district as a middle schooler (7th and 8th grade for us) come September. I work in the cafeteria and the kids for the most part love leaving huge messes on the lines for my co-workers and I to clean up, huge messes on the tables that my co-workers and I have to clean up, huge messes in the cafeteria for the custodial crew to clean up and huge messes on the trays for my dish washing co-workers to clean up plus they expect to be served their lunch yesterday. Hey, I get being hungry (by noon I'm hungry too), but when we run out we have to get subs, salads, paninis and PB & J from either of 2 lines on the other side of the cafeteria or wait for them to be made if we can't find any and there aren't any extras in the cooler and if we run out of food for the main meal, we have to wait for the cooks to bring it to us. The cooks take care of 5 lines (only 1 has only the main meal) so sometimes it's a kind of long wait then the kids lose patience and take it out on us servers. We're also expected by the kids to fill condiment bottles as soon as they run out. While we keep extra ranch bottles in little fridges under our lines, we can't hold up the line for one kid - they use half a bottle to a whole one each line. There are 3 lines unless you're on the line that serves the special education kids and then it's 4.
GlitterInTheAir
by Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My school district is run by a marine - and it's easily one of the best in the state. But the school is not run like the military.

But I cannot disagree with this post more. Children are CHILDREN. Let them be children, not little soldiers, this isn't Somalia.

cupcake_mom
by Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Um no. My kids do not need to be treated like grown men/women. They are very well behaved and structured without living in a boot camp
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Mar. 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM
Children need structure, stability and guidance, and access to an education but not all children will benefit from a military-formatted school curriculum. This is why, in this day and age, parents have access to traditional, charter and non- traditional school curriculums, i.e.: military school, etc.
Medic729
by Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 9:35 PM

Soldiers now have cell phones in training. It is not as hard as it once was. DIs can not curse you or touch you. 

It wouldn't hurt high school students to run like a military installation. Everyone thinks BCT is as hard as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, it is still physicallly and mentally demanding, but we have to do better for our kids than is happening right now. I agree to a point.

Megs_Mom1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with this.  I'm sure some kids would flourish and do better with a military-formatted school, but not all would.  Not everyone learns the same way.  That's why we need options.  

Quoting grneyedormom: Children need structure, stability and guidance, and access to an education but not all children will benefit from a military-formatted school curriculum. This is why, in this day and age, parents have access to traditional, charter and non- traditional school curriculums, i.e.: military school, etc.

gingerfrog
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Well, I suppose that pushups would make a great deterrant for kids who misbehave and a shaved military hairstyle would keep lice at bay. But not all kids are suited for a military formatted school, especially kids who have depression, anxiety, and/or autism.

Mrs_Sweet
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 7:16 PM
Like boot camp??? I disagree. Yelling at and humiliating kids is not productive.
Sunkissed82
That TWD mid-season finale got me so pissed off. What a stupid choice!!!
Today at 12:57 AM
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 7:19 PM

Being a vet, I don't agree. 

Element5
by Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 8:38 AM
With a little influence I would be fine with it. Obviously not yelling .. but maybe that will get schools in check.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)