Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the most influential book you ever read?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've read a lot of books, in my life and thoroughly enjoyed reading most of them. But every so often, a book comes along that forces me to completely rethink my views on something-- life, religion, society, etc. What's a book that dramatically impacted you?

Most favourite books:

The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

The Art of Seduction  by Robert Greene

by on Jul. 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM
Replies (11-19):
nevergiveupmom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:08 PM

I just got done reading: Do This. Get Rich! by Jim Britt

S.M.ile
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I think a lot over what I read. Just finished Peaks and Valleys, it's an interesting one.
Anna Karenina made me think a lot when I was young and thinking of the excitement of falling in love.
S.M.ile
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2017 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I read it too, good one!

Quoting Mrs_Sweet: I usually read fiction, but I read the book about love languages and found it very helpful.
gingerfrog
by Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It's Just My Nature by Carol Tuttle.

mhagh
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 8:36 PM

"Where the Heart Is".  I was in a VERY dark place when I read it.  I was actually in a psych ward when I found a copy.  It was my 4th psych hospitalization in 6 months.  It reminded me to always be greatful for the little things, that great things can come from hard times and that you can choose your family.  Those were the exact messages I need to hear at that moment.  It completely reframed all of the horrible things happening in my life at that time.  I took it home with me when I was discharged.  I haven't been back since.  I've completely turned my life around.  Now I'm applying for college to get a Bachelor's in Social Work.

ChildOfTheLight
by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Roots
BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
This!

Quoting Medic729:

Only books I have been reading lately are my textbooks, and you could say they had an impact on my life lol

Shree1990
by Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 5:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I constantly pick up books that will challenge my notion of the world. It allows me to become more modest in my view and be reciprocative to change. I also know that without information if I speak on a subject, I will be making a fool out of my self. You know how Abraham Lincoln said, ' It's better to be quiet and be assumed an idiot, than open your mouth and erase all doubt'. So I try to get as much information so as to not piss President Lincoln off. So yeah, I encourage such books, because they have brought more peace into my life. Just knowing that everyone is as clueless as you, allows you to take some risks and challenge these rules that society claims as ultimate. My favourite book, Animal Farm by George Orwell. Alamut by Vladimir Bartol. And War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. They are heavy reads and will change your perception of life completely. 

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
War and Peace is one of my favorite books. I've read it over and over again since I first read it when I was 10.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)