Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you buy double ?

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM
  • 22 Replies

One of my co-workers is pregnant, for the story's sake Let's call her co-worker1.  My boss is throwing her a baby shower, which of course, I'm expected to attend.  I was instructed that we were doing an office group gift and I'd have to contribute.  But then at the last minute aka today (4 days before said shower) I was told that they couldn't find what to buy and that we were now on our own for the present ...

Now, co-worker2 comes to me in a panic and says that she doesn't want to go, to the shower and she doesn't know what to buy and asked me if I'd be willing to do a joint gift with her.   So I went to a store I love and bought co-worker1 a gift basket of high end, all natural and hypoallergenic baby care products   All just happened to be 50% off so instead of being a $125 basket, it worked out to $62.  Re-split that in half with Co-worker2 and I'm real happy with the purchase. 

I let Co-worker2 know and she's happy as well however she asks me if I bought anything for the SIL.  I'm like "WHAT ??? No !"  Co-worker1' SIL is also pregnant and will be present at the baby shower and apparently this is now a double baby shower.  I was NOT told that it was a baby shower for both moms to be.  I also don't know the SIL from a hole in the wall ... I've met her once or twice. And I don't feel like it's my place to buy her a baby shower present. 

What would you do if you were in my situation ????

Would you buy a gift for the SIL as well ?

My Daughter, My Life, My Fight

by on Sep. 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Member on Sep. 5, 2017 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Was there a written invitation stating that it would be a double shower? If not, I'd assume the SIL was attending as a guest who coincidentally was also pregnant.
Briesmom38
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2017 at 7:28 AM
3 moms liked this
I would only buy something for the co-worker. Especially since you don't know the sil.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Sep. 6, 2017 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this
No.
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2017 at 9:19 AM

no written invitation, and yesterday was the first time I heard about this being a "double" baby shower.  My boss who is putting the whole thing together has mentioned nothing about it so as far as I'm concerned, Im thinking just like you (guest) and my shopping is done

Quoting mrsniebo: Was there a written invitation stating that it would be a double shower? If not, I'd assume the SIL was attending as a guest who coincidentally was also pregnant.

MysticLove
by Member on Sep. 6, 2017 at 3:11 PM

I might bring a package of diapers or something for SIL.

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

my boss came to see me today and asked me what I had bought for Coworker1 and I told her what I bought.  There was no mention of buying a gift for the SIL so I guess I'm in the clear !

Quoting MysticLove:

I might bring a package of diapers or something for SIL.

donnag013
by Member on Sep. 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, you don't know SIL. Period.

soymujer
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Only buy for the person you know.

Keda84
by on Sep. 18, 2017 at 3:42 AM
Nope
Valentina327
by on Sep. 18, 2017 at 3:59 AM
No
Only for the co-worker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)