Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one who finds this creepy ?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM
  • 48 Replies

DD this morning tells me she had a message from her dad on her phone last night asking her if she could go out to dinner with him, her half brother, and her grand-ma tonight as today is the one year anniversary of her grand-father's death ...

I was so dumbfounded that I was like "uhhhh okay?"

Am I the only one who finds this creepy ? You do not go out to dinner on the death anniversary of someone, Do you ?  In my book this is something you greive, go visit the grave maybe but not go out to a restaurant.  Any which way I assume this will most probably not be a very fun night for DD ; as bat-poop crazy as my ex-MIL is she'll be making a scene in the restaurant.    What a weird f'ing family I'll never be grateful enough to be out of it. 

Also they are in for a surprise ... DD has blue streaks in her hair I'm pretty sure X-MIL won't be too pleased about that either. Oh well

My Daughter, My Life, My Fight

by on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almburr
by Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM
We always have a family dinner around the date of FIL death.
Boyzandgoatzmom
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
The anniversary of my gram' s death is in a few weeks and we have plans to go to KFC because it was her favorite restaurant.
Osstie
by Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM
We get together for my deceased Gma's bday. Maybe the anniversary of the death was more convenient for the party than the bday. *shrug* who cares?
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Always go out to dinner on the anniversary of a death. Never heard of not doing it to be honest.
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM
Lol
We do a Chinese place for a friends, and a few other places for other family because it was their favourite!

Quoting Boyzandgoatzmom: The anniversary of my gram' s death is in a few weeks and we have plans to go to KFC because it was her favorite restaurant.
Roxygurl
by Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:32 AM
I dont find it creepy at all
K3412
by on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM
I don't think it's creepy at all. There's no single way to grieve someone. To be together and celebrate and honor his life, in this case over food, is perfectly fine. I don't understand frankly why you would find it creepy.
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

My bad then .... I have NEVER done that for any of my grand-parents or other relatives that have passed away.  I guess this is just not something we focus on in my family ... we focus on their life not their death. 

Quoting Sailor.Moon.Mom: Always go out to dinner on the anniversary of a death. Never heard of not doing it to be honest.

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

to do it on the birthday maybe but to focus on the day of death to me just isn't right but hey that's my way of thinking.

My husband is widowed from his first wife and he never did that either.

Quoting K3412: I don't think it's creepy at all. There's no single way to grieve someone. To be together and celebrate and honor his life, in this case over food, is perfectly fine. I don't understand frankly why you would find it creepy.

K3412
by on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you are being overly critical, maybe because it's your ex's family. I would let it go. You don't get to decide how people grieve.

Quoting Jinxed8:

to do it on the birthday maybe but to focus on the day of death to me just isn't right but hey that's my way of thinking.

My husband is widowed from his first wife and he never did that either.

Quoting K3412: I don't think it's creepy at all. There's no single way to grieve someone. To be together and celebrate and honor his life, in this case over food, is perfectly fine. I don't understand frankly why you would find it creepy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)