Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age would you feel comfortable leaving your child at home alone for 2 hours?

I was offered a full time job that would leave my 10yr old daughter home alone after school for about 2 hours before I get there myself. I'm trying to figure out if I would need to have someone stay with her or if I'm going to let her stay home alone. Where I work will be about 20 minutes from home and she would have a cell phone to reach out to me and possibly a home camera, haven't decided on anything yet. Nothing is in stone. We live in a country area and there's no traffic passing by our house, literally we live down a back dirt road. Texas doesn't have a set age but cps does have suggestions on when to leave them alone, maturity and if they know what to do in an emergency, cell acess ect.

What age were your kids when you decided to leave them alone at home for a short time?

by on Nov. 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM
Replies (21-28):
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM

I would've left my kids home at age 10, they were all pretty responsible. I do know that it gets a little lonely, from my friends who grew up like that. I also know that as teenagers when we wanted to have sex or party, we went to our friends homes whose parents worked. You can solve that problem with cameras! I was lucky enough to be able to be home when my kids got home.

LaughinTattoo7
by New Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Id say 13 if they are really mature. My dd is 11 and I let her stay home alone for a few minutes but she cant go outside, unlock the door or use her phone or internet

WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM

I will probably start around the same age, my parents let me stay home alone at age 11 (sixth grade)? Or middle school? When I was in sixth grade, it was middle school, but where we live it's still elementary.

Boogiefly
by Member on Nov. 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM

I think it depends on the kid. I was left home alone for hours at age 9 but my mom was bad. It wasn't two hours it was like 6 hours so she could party at concerts or bars. She didnt work. But had she worked, it would have been okay for me to be alone at age 9 or 10. I had a few set rules....no cooking, opening thr door or going outside. We didnt have cell phones because it was the 80's...lol. Definitely no cameras.

purplepiemom
by Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM
My 2 older girls were about 10, my 19 yo son was about 13, my 16 yo son was about 11 or 12, and my youngest is 11 and I just started leaving her home alone.
mollyk124
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM
If you have at least 2, nearby, trusted neighbors, yes. Also, she will need a phone and basic first aid.

Quoting mommy_8486: At what age would you feel comfortable leaving your child at home alone for 2 hours?

I was offered a full time job that would leave my 10yr old daughter home alone after school for about 2 hours before I get there myself. I'm trying to figure out if I would need to have someone stay with her or if I'm going to let her stay home alone. Where I work will be about 20 minutes from home and she would have a cell phone to reach out to me and possibly a home camera, haven't decided on anything yet. Nothing is in stone. We live in a country area and there's no traffic passing by our house, literally we live down a back dirt road. Texas doesn't have a set age but cps does have suggestions on when to leave them alone, maturity and if they know what to do in an emergency, cell acess ect.

What age were your kids when you decided to leave them alone at home for a short time?

ThePoopFace
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM

My daughter will be 9 in march, and I would leave her alone now for a few hours. Not with any other siblings, but alone would be fine. 

JG86
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2017 at 7:37 PM
Around age 13 or so. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with my 10 year old home alone for any period of time. It’s not that I don’t trust him, but anything could happen, and I’m not taking any chances. I work full time, and we have a sitter before and after school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)