Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is growing up

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2017 at 12:22 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

A loud hello from an anxious mom of a daughter who just celebrated her 14th birthday. I should be happy, right because my daughter is growing up and we will be like the best-friends-ever. That is not the case and that is the reason for my concern. I find it hard to communicate with my daughter. She has developed a sudden change in her attitude towards me. Well, let me tell you she is the only child to me, a single parent who works five days a week at a 9-5 job. Despite my busy schedule, I make it a point to stay at home on weekends, plan a shopping spree or a girls night out with her. Still, I am observing a detached behavior from her side. Am I being paranoid or too protective? There is another thing, she has become obsessed with her diet. There are days when she is eating anything and then there are times when she is on a diet. Her diet plans change every time too. I will say she is spending more time on the weighing scale than any other location. How should I approach her without offending her? Teenage was not so difficult in our times.

by on Dec. 20, 2017 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ninjakids
by on Dec. 20, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Op is trolling everyone.
Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2017 at 10:59 AM

thanks for head's up

Quoting ninjakids: Op is trolling everyone.

ninjakids
by on Dec. 20, 2017 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
No problem. In this group she’s a 30s single mom with one teenage daughter, in the pregnancy forum she’s pregnant and the baby is breech and in Mom confessions she’s a mother to 3 teenage boys who has no sex drive that she believes is due to menopause and her husband stay out all night. Not sure what the goal is, but don’t want to see anyone caught up in a web of lies

Quoting Jinxed8:

thanks for head's up

Quoting ninjakids: Op is trolling everyone.

Bellalee1
by on Dec. 21, 2017 at 7:04 AM

Hi @ OP, are you genuine and really need advise regarding your teen daughter?

Sac555
by on Dec. 21, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Dear OP

If this is really your concern, just know that teenagers are just realizing that they can make decisions. The problem is that their decisions can be for life now. Talk to her and tell her you see she is back and forth on a diet..and does she want to talk to a nutrionist or both of you can read up on paleo, or ketogenic diets, or whatever. Keep reaching out.

Chinadoll13
by on Dec. 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM

It sounds like you are doing everything you can and she is becoming a typical normal teenager. Don't take her attitude toward you personally. I think that most teenagers get to a point where being with her parents aren't "cool". It's a phase that she will hopefully grow out of eventually.  She may be trying to find her independence and her diet is one of the things that she can control. I would suggest that you "open the door" and let your daughter know that she can talk with you about anything. In the meantime, watch for any symptoms of anorexia or bulimia. At this stage in her life, her friends' opinions are important as she's trying to fit in. Her self-esteem and self-confidence might be low. Keep your line of communication open between you and your daughter. Give your daughter a sense of safety that regardless of topic, that although you may get upset, you will be there to support her regardless. Here are some articles that may help when talking with your daughter: http://bit.ly/2xHLEJq. I would also recommend that you get to know the people that she is hanging out with. Understanding her friends can be the key to understanding her. I'll be praying for you and your daughter. God bless. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)