Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Santa Clause

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2017 at 8:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok mom's I need opinions please. My daughter is 9 yrs old and will be 10 in August. She still believes in Santa and every year she ask for toys or whatever that are expensieve cause well the elves make it so it wont cost Santa. So my question is What age would you find it ok to tell the child that Santa is just make believe. She already questions about how he will get in our house or if she stay's at a grandparents on Christmas eve how he knows where to go. So what age and how should I explain to her he isnt real?

by on Dec. 20, 2017 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Dec. 20, 2017 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
She’ll figure it out on her own. Let her believe in the Magic that this season brings! My kiddo figured it out once she started to recognize that “Santa’s” handwriting looked similar to mine, and her grandparents! She still “believes” because it’s the spirit and the magic of the season.
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Member on Dec. 20, 2017 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 8 and still believes in Santa. I plan to let him believe until he stops on his own. He did ask once last year if Santa is real and I just asked him what he thought, and he said "yes, he's real" and I never confirmed or denied it. A lot of times we buy the stuff he wants, so he understands that Santa doesn't always get him the things he asks for. I've also reminded him that Santa has to make sure the gifts are OK with mommy and daddy (he wanted stuff we didn't plan on buying him, like video games) and that you don't just get anything you ask for. His Santa gift is usually just one thing. Its rarely something he asks for but its always something we know he'll like. We try to keep things simple gift wise but let him believe as long as possible.
B3autifulCha0s
by Member on Dec. 20, 2017 at 9:43 PM
I’m not sure because we never “did” Santa. My kids know the history of Santa and that a lot of people pretend he’s real because it’s fun and they’d never ruin it for another kid. But I’m not sure how to undo the convincing them it’s real without them being slightly upset. I was upset when I found out Santa was not real when I was a kid.

But I agree with what other posters have said. Maybe just let it go and let it happen “naturally”. I liked CHELSEA’S response of “what do you think” when her child asked if he was real.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 21, 2017 at 2:17 AM
We don’t do Santa.
My parents never did Santa.

Here’s a Bump
SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM

My kids are 15, 13 and 11 and we have never told them, and never will. I am sure they have figured it out, but we ALL still "believe" in Santa.  Even to the point my mom still sneaks over to put out PJ's on Christmas Eve while we are going to our traditional movie night.....they still haven't figured how we get the jammies out while we are gone. My mom coming over and doing it has never dawned on them LOL.

mrsc19
by Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 5:17 PM
My son asked last yr (10) and i told him the truth. Santa was a real person and is a saint...but to be honest ive never made a huge deal about santa in the past.
OctoberReign
by Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 9:39 PM
I feel it’s best to just let them figure it out on their own. I have a feeling this is the year all 3 of mine figure it out since they found all the presents yesterday (already wrapped, thank god).
chaoticjoy
by on Dec. 22, 2017 at 8:44 AM

My daughter figured it out when she was 9, she's 11 now. It was due to the fact that I accidentally let the cat out of the bag when I didn't know she was listening. I have to agree with you, it is much easier because you can explain things to them, but it does kind of dull the season when they don't believe anymore. Our tradition is that mom and dad buy most of the presents and put them under the tree the day before, and then at night Santa only brings 2 gifts to each kid. I guess this made them appreciate both Satan and Mom & Dad. Maybe you could tell her that Santa has a new gift giving policy and only will be bring a few gifts but Mom & Dad got some this year too! Just a thought. Blessings to you and Merry Christmas!!!

Erika_C
by Member on Dec. 23, 2017 at 7:11 PM
Mine are 18, 13, and 11. I've never come out and said anything to them. They figured it out on their own and I believe part of the magic is the spirit of giving. So Santa exists inside of me. I still get "Santa" gifts (my mom will never give that up) and it's kinda sweet to see Santa written on the from part of a tag on a gift to me.
So, Santa will always bring a gift or two for each of the boys.
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2017 at 7:15 AM

Tell her that she's old enough to BE a santa now, that you trust her to keep the magic alive for younger kids, help her sneak gifts to people who need a friend, from Santa.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)