Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new to this

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2018 at 9:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

I haven't done chat rooms since I was a teen. I am 35 this year. This is something very different for me, but I don't socialize well with others in a face-to-face situation. I struggle with reading body language. I also don't like to talk about inconsequential things just to hold a conversation. It makes it rather difficult for me to make friends or get to know other moms. I am hoping that by coming online, I can make connections with mothers and get the kind of advice and support that is currently lacking in my life.

I have 4 kids that are 14, 12, 8, and 6. My 12 year old has an Autism diagnosis, my 14 year old has severe anxiety issues that prevent him from being able to successfully manage public schooling, my 8 year old has been identified as "Gifted" by his program at school, and my 6 year old has a severe "failure to thrive" diagnosis that causes issues with her bowels.

I am looking for anyone who might have experience with these issues, and advice on how they managed it. Both successful and unsuccessful experiences are welcme since every child is different. What works for one, may not work for another. 

by on Mar. 15, 2018 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dallasleigh15
by on Mar. 15, 2018 at 9:42 PM
Sounds like you have your hands full.
Mamallama4
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 9:58 PM

It's been very full. The past 3 years have been the most overwhelming. I have a wonderful husband that I shamefully neglected to mention. He has been as helpful as he can be, but it can be overwhelming for him too.

B3autifulCha0s
by Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:26 PM
Hi and welcome.

Is your 6yo FTT because of bowel issues? What is the diagnosis that causes FTT? I have experience with FTT because my youngest has been FTT since birth due to a stomach disorder.
Mamallama4
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:32 PM

My 6 year old has had a FTT diagnosis for the last 3 years. It's not entirely a surprise as her dad had it too. He had to take GH shots. Nobody has suggested shots for her yet, but the FTT diagnosis means that she is very small for her age, and unfortunately her bowels are too small for the amount of excrement that her body produces. She has to have daily doses of a special probiotic, fiber Pediasure, and Miralax. She also has to have a monthly enema to keep her from becoming compacted.

Quoting B3autifulCha0s: Hi and welcome. Is your 6yo FTT because of bowel issues? What is the diagnosis that causes FTT? I have experience with FTT because my youngest has been FTT since birth due to a stomach disorder.

B3autifulCha0s
by Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:49 PM
:(
I’m sorry. I know how hard to see your child struggle.

My brother had bowel problems. He too had to do probiotics, fiber, miralax and something else as well as enemas. Once he almost died because he was hiding his medicines instead of taking them (at 16yo). He got so backed up it was in his stomach and became very toxic. He was hospitalized.

My dd3 is on a diet that is 75% liquid because of her stomach disorder. She also has a dairy allergy which makes u so much worse. We’ve done all treatments available to her except one- Botox injections into her stomach, which we won’t do 1) because it will not cure her and may cause more harm if not injected properly 2) it is not scientifically proven to improve her quality of life and 3) it costs nearly $2000 per shot and she’d have to get them every 4wks until she was older and could get the gastric pacemaker.

Quoting Mamallama4:

My 6 year old has had a FTT diagnosis for the last 3 years. It's not entirely a surprise as her dad had it too. He had to take GH shots. Nobody has suggested shots for her yet, but the FTT diagnosis means that she is very small for her age, and unfortunately her bowels are too small for the amount of excrement that her body produces. She has to have daily doses of a special probiotic, fiber Pediasure, and Miralax. She also has to have a monthly enema to keep her from becoming compacted.

Quoting B3autifulCha0s: Hi and welcome.

Is your 6yo FTT because of bowel issues? What is the diagnosis that causes FTT? I have experience with FTT because my youngest has been FTT since birth due to a stomach disorder.

Mamallama4
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 10:56 PM

My daughter (6 year old) sees a gastroenterologist and an endocronlogist. It's a bit overwhelming. I get so scared sometimes when she complains that her stomach hurts and you can see how bloated she is. She actually doesn't mind most of her meds (exception being the enema), and actually will remind me if she didn't get them. She's so mature for her age, and she is handling it well, but Mama is a wreck.

Quoting B3autifulCha0s: :( I’m sorry. I know how hard to see your child struggle. My brother had bowel problems. He too had to do probiotics, fiber, miralax and something else as well as enemas. Once he almost died because he was hiding his medicines instead of taking them (at 16yo). He got so backed up it was in his stomach and became very toxic. He was hospitalized. My dd3 is on a diet that is 75% liquid because of her stomach disorder. She also has a dairy allergy which makes u so much worse. We’ve done all treatments available to her except one- Botox injections into her stomach, which we won’t do 1) because it will not cure her and may cause more harm if not injected properly 2) it is not scientifically proven to improve her quality of life and 3) it costs nearly $2000 per shot and she’d have to get them every 4wks until she was older and could get the gastric pacemaker.
Quoting Mamallama4:

Quoting B3autifulCha0s: Hi and welcome. Is your 6yo FTT because of bowel issues? What is the diagnosis that causes FTT? I have experience with FTT because my youngest has been FTT since birth due to a stomach disorder.

B3autifulCha0s
by Member on Mar. 15, 2018 at 11:02 PM
Aww, what a big girl! Take joy in her strength. That’s what I do with my dd3. :) it makes cooking a little easier.

Quoting Mamallama4:

My daughter (6 year old) sees a gastroenterologist and an endocronlogist. It's a bit overwhelming. I get so scared sometimes when she complains that her stomach hurts and you can see how bloated she is. She actually doesn't mind most of her meds (exception being the enema), and actually will remind me if she didn't get them. She's so mature for her age, and she is handling it well, but Mama is a wreck.

Quoting B3autifulCha0s: :(
I’m sorry. I know how hard to see your child struggle.

My brother had bowel problems. He too had to do probiotics, fiber, miralax and something else as well as enemas. Once he almost died because he was hiding his medicines instead of taking them (at 16yo). He got so backed up it was in his stomach and became very toxic. He was hospitalized.

My dd3 is on a diet that is 75% liquid because of her stomach disorder. She also has a dairy allergy which makes u so much worse. We’ve done all treatments available to her except one- Botox injections into her stomach, which we won’t do 1) because it will not cure her and may cause more harm if not injected properly 2) it is not scientifically proven to improve her quality of life and 3) it costs nearly $2000 per shot and she’d have to get them every 4wks until she was older and could get the gastric pacemaker.

Quoting Mamallama4:

Quoting B3autifulCha0s: Hi and welcome.

c8ln
by Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 7:37 AM

Welcome!  This is a lot different from those chat rooms, at least the ones I went to as pre-teen and teen!    I hope others with some similar experiences wil reach out to you.  I have a 4 year old and a baby. 

Caidysmom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2018 at 5:58 PM
Welcome! A good group for you to join would be “raising special needs kids”, it covers most of that.

My 6 year old is just coming off of a life long FTT dx. She was in feeding therapy from 10 months to 6 years. She will be 7 in May. She also has extreme SPD..

mommaof4204
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM

hugs sounds like your a busy momma

welcome to the group hope you can find the help you need  with in this group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)