Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Newborns & Infants - Add Parenting Tips

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 12:53 PM
  • 3 Replies

by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Tam_n_Fam
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 9:33 PM

The most important advice I can give to any new parent is to "ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INSTINCT"

When my son was 4 weeks old he started to vomit.  I went to the doctor concerned, she told me that I didnt feed him properly.  I did everything she said.  At 5 weeks, it was worse. I called the ER. They told me that he had a virus, give him water.  At 6 weeks, I could see his little ribs, and I cried everytime I fed him. I knew something was wrong. I called another doctor who saw him immediately.  It is because I listened to my instinct that my son is alive today (he needed emergency surgery on his stomach).  If you feel in your gut and your heart that something is wrong, and a doctor doesn't agree, go see another doctor.

Pollymom
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I would say....

Take help when it's offered and ask for help when you need it . . .

I feel stupid even posting this, but the second day I was home from the hospital with my daughter (my second child) I was so exhausted physically, but wouldn't admit it. That night, instead of asking my hubby to take her for the night (after he said he would) I told myself I could handle her through the night. After all, hadn't I gotten through the hard nights with my son two years ago? Anyway, I was so tired, I fed her, put her in her crib in her room and fell deeply asleep in in the living room. My hubby slept in our bed with my son and he's half deaf in one ear, so he doesn't hear much when he's sleeping.

I didn't hear her crying to be fed all night. In the morning, I awoke with a start and looked in on her. She was sleeping, but her hands were cold because she'd come out of her swaddle and I knew she must've been starving because she ate every two hours. I cried and cried and felt so bad I was telling her "Mommy's so sorry" over and over again while I fed her and held her.

After that, I have my husband take her at night if I feel tired. I still have guilt over that night.

Tam_n_Fam
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Quoting Pollymom:

After that, I have my husband take her at night if I feel tired. I still have guilt over that night.

I still have guilt over mine as well.  I wonder if I shouldn't have listened to my instinct sooner.  I shouldn't have taken what the doctor said so seriously.  (I have guilt whenever my son doesn't get hungry, he hasn't cried for food since after 7 weeks old).  But we live and learn.  Both of us have to be happy that nothing terrible happened.  We learned from our mistakes so we can pass on what we learned, so other parents don't make the same mistake that we did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)