Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

For moms who are on unemployment.......HELP!!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 9:17 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok moms who are currently on unemployment. 

What do you do during the day when your kids are at school?  I am bored to tears and need some ideas.

I have been "downsized" from my job and just got unemployment.  My house is so clean, I have to go a few days so that I will have something to do later in the week.  Vacuuming and dishes get done daily though.

I don't have a lot of money so joining a gym or the Y isn't an option.

HELP!  I'm not used to this!!!!!shooting photo

by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Crystallynn
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 9:49 AM

ok- here is my "daily" routine.....

Wake up- get the kids up- breakfast, lunches made- kids off to school

Shower myself, dress, clean up breakfast dishes, start a load of laundry

Play on computer- Cafemom-FB for about 45 minutes

Switch washer and dryer- make sure all beds in the house are made- vaccuum kids rooms and hallways

straighted kids bathroom and clean mirror ( MAJOR clean bathroom once a week...just pick a day)

dust living room/dining room- vaccuum same rooms

Fold laundry from dryer and put away sweep kitchen floor

sweep and "mop" front entryway and straighten my bathroom

When I am done with everything, I spend about an hour to two hours on job sites like snagajob.com, indeed.com, hot jobs, monster, and if there is a local one, I look at that.

I am on unemployment too and I go crazy sitting at home all day.  If the weather is nice, you dont have to join a gym- just go for a walk.  I try to walk for about an hour a day when it isnt raining. I lost about 10 pounds a month, just from walking......

Camera_diva
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Sweet! I do what you do as far as the cleaning..maybe if I actually folded the laundry *I LOATHE folding the laundry..that is my daughter's job..hee hee!* I would use up more time. 

Walking..I could do that..need to get some tennis shoes though.

Thanks for your input. 

I have those sites on my bookmarks also..I spend about an hour or so a day doing that as well.

Catina

shooting photo

dmesterse
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Excercise is the most important, it is proven to battle depression, and depression will hit. I get to that point some days, but when I get up and go for walsk and stuff I feel so much better.

Camera_diva
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I do think that with me being such a social butterfly that the depression is coming and it is gonna smack me clear to NY!  Maybe this is the time for me to concentrate on ME!!!!  I am 100 lbs overweight. ....

nelopyma
by on Oct. 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I'm not in the situation of unemployment, but I am home most days.  I've recently opened a business, so I spend a lot of time researching books and stuff for that.  Laundry and dishes are usually every day things, along with any errands I have to run.  The kids have after school activities, so at least 2 days a week, I'm running them places after school.  As for exercise, I prefer walking outside over a gym... and it's free.

I also read a lot.  I returned some library books this morning, and this is the first time in probably 6 months that I didn't check any out.

jgreenwell
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Get it! You might as well spend the time achieving some goals that you have put off for work. Are you looking for more work? What field?

Quoting Camera_diva:

I do think that with me being such a social butterfly that the depression is coming and it is gonna smack me clear to NY!  Maybe this is the time for me to concentrate on ME!!!!  I am 100 lbs overweight. ....

Can I pray for you? Message me with any specifics you care to share!

Bribriesmom
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I'm getting to go back to school to become an ultrasound tech. I don't want to just sit on my butt depending on unemployment or welfare. I've been working since I was 16 and there is just too many opportunities out there.
exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I am not unemployed but I can offer you the following advice. Check with our local social services department and see if they have a career program or know of a place that offers free classes to unemployed people looking to improve on their skills. I know where I live there are plenty of classes offered to low-income and those unemployed through the state.They have computer classes, one program even offers a EMT class. Check with your local library to see if there are any programs or classes that you can get into as well. Take this time to reflect on your life goals and see what you can do to achieve them. Good luck with everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN